Matador Tennis Suffers Setback against Dartmouth
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (8-4) lost 7-0 to Dartmouth College Tuesday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. In their now annual meeting in the San Fernando Valley, the Big Green lost just a No. 2 doubles contest in sweeping the Matadors.
A tough squad out of the Ivy League making its annual trip to California, Dartmouth presented the Matadors with a tough test at the start of CSUN"s most challenging portion of the schedule.
In doubles, Northidge shuffled its normal line-ups to mixed success. While Anna Yang and Jessica Warren took an 8-5 decision in No. 2 doubles, teams of Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing and Corinne Schnyder ultimately lost decisions.
In singles action, Pistalu did not play because of an ailment and the Matadors adjusted accordingly. Unfotunately, Dartmouth won all six matches and needed a decisive third set in just one of the draws.
CSUN head coach Gary Victor hopes to see an energetic squad Thursday against Iowa.
"Dartmouth is very solid team up and down their line-up," Victor said. "We need to bring the energy up Thursday against Iowa."
The Matadors and Hawkeyes will take the court at Matador Tennis Complex on Thursday with first serve slated for 2 p.m.
Dartmouth 7 CSUN 0
1. Yau/Okuda (DC) def. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN): 8-5
2. Yang/Warren (CSUN) def. Bessen/Matsuoka (DC): 8-5
3. Liu/Tan (DC) def. Man-Son-Hing/Schnyder (CSUN): 8-4
1. Liu (DC) def. Yang (CSUN): 6-7, 6-3, 10-6
2. Yan (DC) def. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN): 7-5, 6-4
3. Okuda (DC) def. Cheung (CSUN): 6-2, 6-2
4. Matsuoka (DC) def. Schnyder (CSUN): 6-2, 6-2
5. Bessen (DC) def. Warren (CSUN): 6-1, 6-4
6. Tan (DC) def. Marquez (CSUN): 6-1, 6-2