Matadors Drop Eagles 5-2 in Non-Conference Action
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (5-2) defeated Eastern Michigan 5-2 in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN continued its impressive play in doubles action and captured the top four draws in singles competition to defeat the Eagles.
The senior tandem of Sabrina Man-Son-Hing and Anna Yang improved to a perfect 7-0 on the year with a convincing 8-2 victory in the top doubles draw. At No. 2, Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung captured an 8-3 decision and Corinne Schnyder and Jessica Warren capped off the sweep with an 8-4 victory.
In singles action, the Matadors won the top four draws to clinch the victory. The win was Northridge's third straight and fourth in its last five matches.
Pistalu won her third-straight contest with a three-set thriller. She is now 5-2 on the season. At No. 2, Yang also posted her third straight victory and improved to 6-1 on the season with straight set victory.
In the third draw, Man-Son-Hing lost just four games in a two set victory. Finally, Lorraine Cheung won her third-straight match with a straight-set victory in the fourth draw.
"We are fighting for every point," CSUN head coach Gary Victor said. "The character of this team continues to grow."
CSUN returns to action with a non-conference match at home against Stetson on Friday, Mar. 8. First serve from Matador Tennis Complex is slated for 1:30 p.m.
CSUN 5 Eastern Michigan 2
1. Man-Son-Hing/Yang (CSUN) def. Mebuke/Supejova (EMU) 8-2
2. Pistlau/Yang (CSUN) def. Friedrichs/Toncheva (EMU) 8-3
3. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN) def. Bhatia/Biro (EMU) 8-4
1. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Mebuke (EMU): 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. Yang (CSUN) def. Supejova (EMU): 6-1, 7-5
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Friedrichs (EMU): 6-2, 6-2
4. Cheung (CSUN) def. Bhatia (EMU): 6-1, 6-4
5. Toncheva (EMU) def. Schnyder (CSUN): 6-3, 3-6, 10-7
6. Biro (EMU) def. Warren (CSUN): 3-6, 6-0, 3-0 retired