NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (9-7, 2-4 Big West) lost 5-2 to UC Davis in a Big West Conference match in Davis, Calif. Jennifer Sher and Anna Yang, who was named Big West Women's Tennis Player of the Week, captured singles contests for CSUN, but the Aggies proved too tough on their home court.
Yang, who earned the Matadors' second-straight league award, won in straight sets (7-6 (1), 6-1) to move to 9-6 in singles play on the season. The win was also her fourth straight in singles play and she improved her record against league opponents to 4-2.
Sher continued her solid singles campaign in her senior season, improving to 11-5 with a straight-set victory. She has won six of her past seven matches, all at the No. 1 draw, and is also 4-2 against Big West foes.
CSUN nearly took the doubles point as the teams split the first two matches to finish. Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing improved to 11-4 on the season in the top draw with their 8-2 victory. However, Lorraine Cheung and Maria Pistalu lost a tough 9-7 decision in the No. 3 draw to give UCD the opening point.
Nigora Sirojiddinova was the only Matador to force a third set in defeat. She lost a tiebreaker after UCD had clinched the victory.
CSUN remains on the road and faces Pacific on April 5 in Stockton.
Cal State Northridge 2 UC Davis 5
Apr. 4, 2012 at Davis, Calif.
Marya Welch Tennis Center
1. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing/Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Megan Heneghan/Ellie Edles (UCD) 8-2
2. Layla Sanders/Kelly Chui (UCD) def. Nigora Sirojiddinova/Anna Yang (CSUN) 8-3
3. Dahra Zamudio/Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Lorraine Cheung/Maria Pistalu (CSUN) 9-7
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
2. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) def. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 5-7, 6-2, (10-4)
3. Kelly Chui (UCD) def. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) 7-5, 6-0
5. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 7-6 (1), 6-1
6. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,6,4,5,1,2