Northridge Tennis Knocks Off Furman 5-2
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (6-4) defeated Furman University 5-2 Friday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN rallied for an important point in the doubles' contests and then scored a pair of three-set victories in singles play to put away the Palladins.
After Furman won the first doubles match to finish, CSUN won the final two in dramatic fashion. The No. 1 team of Jennifer Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing won 8-6 and the No. 3 team of Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung came from 6-5 down to win 8-6.
With that momentum, CSUN won the first sinlges match to finish as Pistalu captured the fourth-seeded draw. However, Northridge would lose the next two points and found itself tied at 2-2.
Sher, one of Northridge's 2012 Big West Scholar Athletes of the Year, then posted a convincing win in her No. 1 singles match to give the lead back to CSUN. Cheung took the winning point with a three-set victory in the sixth draw.
In the final match, Nigora Sirojiddinova also won in three sets. She has now won six of her past seven singles matches. Pistalu is on a four-match winning streak in singles play.
CSUN returns to action on Sunday, Mar. 11 with an important Big West Conference match at UC Santa Barbara. First serve between the Matadors and Gauchos is slated for noon.
Mar. 9, 2012
CSUN 5 Furman 2
Matador Tennis Complex (Northridge, Calif.)
1. Sher/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Kline/Moreno-Kaste (FURMAN): 8-6
2. Boyette/Oudin (FURMAN) def. Sirojiddinova/Yang: 8-1
3. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Stanford/Murray (FURMAN): 8-6
1. Sher (CSUN) def. Kline (FURMAN): 6-0, 6-3
2. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Stanford (FURMAN): 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
3. Boyette (FURMAN) def. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN): 6-4, 1-2 retired
4. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Moreno-Kaste (FURMAN): 6-2, 6-3
5. Oudin (FURMAN) def. Anna Yang (CSUN): 6-1, 6-4
6. Cheung (CSUN) def. Bitetti (FURMAN): 6-2, 4-6, 6-0