March 6, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - Tne Cal State Northridge tennis team (8-6) defeated Georgetown 4-3 Sunday afternoon in a non-conference dual match at Matador Tennis Complex. Sophomore Ryma Korab won the decisive match for the Matadors, posting a three-set victory in her sixth-seeded singles match.
Tied at 3-3, Korab's No. 6 match with Alexandra Landers was the final to finish. In the end, Korab psoted a 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-4 victory to improve to 3-2 on the season.
Sher did not lose a single game in defeating Lauren Greco at the No. 2 draw. Sirojiddinova won 6-2, 6-2 against Victoria Sekely in the fifth singles match. Finally, Cheung posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Madeline Jaeger.
For the first time all season, the doubles tandem of Jennifer Sher and Brooke Doane did not win their No.1 doubles match. The 53rd-ranked tandem in the nation lost 8-6 to Stephanie Wetmore and Tina Tehrani. The Hoyas also won at the second draw in doubles to earn the point.
Anna Yang teamed with Sirojiddinova to post an 8-0 victory over Sekely and Michelle Pratt in the No. 3 doubles contest.
The Matadors return to the courts in an important Big West match with UC Santa Barbara on Mar. 12. First serve from Northridge is slated for noon.
CSUN 4 Georgetown 3
1. Wetmore/Therani def. Sher/Doane, 8-6
2. Greco/Jaeger def. Man-Son-Hing/Pistalu, 8-6
3. Sirojidinova/Yang def. Sekely/Pratt, 8-0
1. Wetmore def. Doane, 6-4, 7-6 (4)
2. Sher def. Greco, 6-0, 6-0
3. Sirojiddinova def. Sekely, 6-2, 6-2
4. Tehrani def. Pistalu 0-6, 6-0, 6-4
5. Cheung def. Jaeger, 6-1, 6-1
6. Korab def. Landers, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-4