NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (12-9, 3-5 Big West) lost 4-0 to Hawai'i Sunday in a Big West Conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN got a doubles win from Vivian Lin and Jessica Warren, but could not overcome the Rainbow Wahine in singles play.
On a hot day in the San Fernando Valley, the Matadors and Rainbow Wahine engaged in a battle with Big West Tournament implications. The four-day event in Indian Wells, Calif., runs from April 24-27.
With the loss, CSUN finished 3-5 in the league and earned the sixth seed in the tournament. Hawai'i improved to 5-2 and will be the third seed. That means the teams will meet in the Big West Quarterfinals on April 25 at 8 a.m. at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
Lin and Warren won 8-3 in their second doubles draw to improve to 2-1 on the season. Lin is now 11-9 in doubles play while Warren improved to 5-4.
In singles action, CSUN lost the three matches to finish. The Matadors led in two of the matches that did not finish and the third was tied in the third set.
Sunday's match was Senior Day for CSUN's Lorraine Cheung. One of the most dogged and driven competitors to ever grace the courts for CSUN, Cheung was a 2013 All-Big West Doubles Honorable mention selection and is 46-28 in singles play and 39-27 in doubles for her career.
Hawai'i 4, CSUN 0
April 20, 2014
1. Suworowa/Petriskova (UH) def. Poei/Hsu (CSUN): 8-6
2. Lin/Warren (CSUN) def. Nguyen/Faltusz (UH): 8-3
3. Gealer/Kostalova (UH) def. Rodriguez/Cheung (CSUN): 8-6
1. Nguyen (UH) def. Lin (CSUN): 6-3, 6-4
2. Suworowa (UH) vs. Hsu (CSUN): Did Not Finish
3. Kostalova (UH) def. Rodriguez (CSUN): 6-4, 6-2
4. Petriskova (UH) def. Poei (CSUN): 6-4, 6-2
5. Cheung (CSUN) vs. Gealer (UH): Did Not Finish
6. Warren (CSUN) vs. Daguio (UH): Did Not Finish