NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (12-8, 3-4 Big West) lost 5-2 to UC Santa Barbara Sunday afternoon in a Big West Conference match in Santa Barbara, Calif. The Matadors won the doubles point as Mickey Hsu and Kristen Poei improved to 17-1 on the season. Poei also captured a singles win to improve to 12-6 on the season.
The freshmen tandem of Poei and Hsu have won 11-straight matches, including three straight at the No. 1 draw. The duo improved to 6-1 on the year against league opponents and have not lost since March 8.
Criss Rodriguez and Lorraine Cheung took an 8-5 decision in the third draw to improve to 2-0 on the weekend. Rodriguez has won 11 doubles matches this year while Cheung has been a part of 11 winning doubles teams as well.
In singles action, Poei won in straight sets in the fourth draw to post her fourth-straight victory. She has won five of her past six singles contests and is 5-2 in Big West play.
Hsu saw her six-match winning streak snapped with a tough three-set defeat. Every other Matador fell in straight sets.
The Matadors close out the regular season with a contest against Hawai'i on Sunday, April 20. First serve from Matador Tennis Complex is slated for 10 a.m.
Before the match, the Matadors will honor the lone senior, Lorraine Cheung, who will be participating in her final match in the San Fernando Valley.
CSUN 2, UCSB 5
Apr. 13, 2014
Santa Barbara, Calif.
Rec Center Courts
1. Mickey Hsu/ Kristen Poei (CSUN) def. April Scatliffe/ Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB), 8-5
2. Jaimee Gilbertson/ Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. Vivian Lin/ Jessica Warren (CSUN), 8-7 (7-3)
3. Criss Rodriguez/ Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Kiersten Meehan/ Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB), 8-5
1. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Vivian Lin (CSUN), 6-2, 6-4
2. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Mickey Hsu (CSUN), 6-2, 6-7, 10-8
3. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) def. Criss Rodriguez (CSUN), 6-1, 6-1
4. Kristen Poei (CSUN) def. Paola Cos (UCSB), 6-2, 7-5
5. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN), 6-2, 6-3
6. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. Jessica Warren (CSUN), 6-3, 6-1