NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Freshman Mickey Hsu rallied from a set down to win her No. 3 singles match in a decisive third set to give the Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (3-0, 1-0 Big West) defeated Cal Poly 4-3 in the Matadors' Big West opener. After dropping the doubles point, CSUN also got singles wins from Vivian Lin, Kristen Poei and Lorraine Cheung.
"This is a big win for our program. We never stopped fighting, even when we were down 3-0 in matches," CSUN head coach Gary Victor said.
Rookies continued to lead the way for the Matadors early in the 2014 season.
After losing the first set 6-4 and trailing 4-1 in the second, Lin rattled off five-straight games to claim the second set. She then rolled to a 6-3 win the third set to give the Matadors their third-straight win to open the season.
"I told Mickey that she would be the deciding match and she won the next five games in a tremendous display of resolve," Victor added.
Lin, the Big West Women's Tennis Athlete of the Week, improved to 3-0 with a straight-set victory in the second singles draw.
Poei also captured an important victory for CSUN Saturday. She won in straight sets and was also victorious in doubles action with Hsu.
"Kristen played the best we've seen her play since she joined the squad," Victor said. "She dominated in doubles and singles against a senior. It was a tremendous performance."
CSUN's fourth and final point came from Cheung, the team's senior. She also came back from a set down to capture the No. 6 singles draw.
"Lorraine competed against a physically imposing opponent, but refused to lose," Victor concluded.
The Matadors return to the courts Thursday, Feb. 13 with a road contest at LMU. First serve is slated for 1:30 p.m.
Cal State Northridge 4, Cal Poly 3
Matador Tennis Complex (Northridge, Calif.)
Feb. 1, 2014
1. Ane McPike/Jennifer Cornea (CP) def. Criss Rodriguez/Vivian Lin (CSUN), 8-2
2. Mickey Hsu/Kristen Poei (CSUN) def. Emily Gibbens/Hannah Stone (CP), 8-1
3. Kathryn Webb/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Jessica Warren/Lorraine Cheung (CSUN), 8-4
1. Jennifer Cornea (CP) def. Criss Rodriguez (CSUN), 6-1, 6-0
2. Vivian Lin (CSUN) def. Emily Gibbens (CP), 7-5, 7-6
3. Mickey Hsu (CSUN) def. Hannah Stone (CP), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Mika Padmanabhan (CP) def. Jessica Warren (CSUN), 6-2, 6-2
5. Kristen Poei (CSUN) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-3, 6-2
6. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Sayaka Tsugai (CP), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2