NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (9-6) lost 7-0 to No. 20 Rice Friday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. The nationally ranked Owls, a Sweet 16 team a year ago, posted a sweep over the host Matadors.
Despite the results, CSUN head coach Gary Victor was pleased with his team's performance against one of the top programs in Division I.
"I'm proud of how we competed because Rice is an outstanding team," Victor said. "We need to keep our belief and energy level at the highest level possible."
The Owls became the first squad to best the Matadors' top doubles team, Anna Yang and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing.
Natalie Beazant and Dominique Harmath, who are ranked No. 17 in the nation as a doubles team, defeated the senior duo 8-4. Man-Son-Hing and Yang are now 14-1 on the season in No.1 doubles following the loss.
Rice won in straight sets in all six singles contests. Yang was the closest Matador to victory, falling 6-4 and 7-5 to Harmath, who is ranked No. 72 in Division I.
The Matadors will look to get their 10th victory of the season in their next match, a league match at Long Beach State on Mar. 30. First serve is slated for noon.
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs. Cal-State Northridge
3/29/2013 at Northridge, CA
(Matador Tennis Complex)
#20 Rice 7, Cal-State Northridge 0
1. #62 Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Maria Pistalu (CSN) 6-4, 6-0
2. #72 Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Anna Yang (CSN) 6-4, 7-5
3. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSN) 6-4, 6-1
4. Katie Gater (RICE) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSN) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Jessica Warren (CSN) 6-1, 6-1
6. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Alexis Marquez (CSN) 6-0, 6-2
1. #17 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Anna Yang/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSN) 8-4
2. Katie Gater/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Maria Pistalu/Lorraine Cheung (CSN) 8-7 (7-1)
3. Daniela Trigo/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Jessica Warren/Alexis Marquez (CSN) 8-2
Rice 14-4; National ranking #20
Cal-State Northridge 9-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,4,6,3,2)