NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (9-5) defeated Middlebury 6-1 Saturday afternoon in a non-conference tennis match at Matador Tennis Complex. The Matadors snapped a brief two-match skid by sweeping the doubles matches and posting five singles wins to defeat the Panthers.
Coming off tough losses to Dartmouth and Iowa, the Matadors faced the No. 7 Division III Panthers looking to get some momentum for their stretch run to the Big West Tournament.
In singles play, the Matadors won five points behind victories in the second-sixth draws. Warren and Man-Son-Hing needed a tiebreaker in the first set, but then cruised to a straight-set victory. Man-Son-Hing evened her season record to 6-6 while Warren is now is 7-5.
Yang lost only four games total in her straight-set victory at the No. 2 draw. She is now a team-best 10-4 in singles play on the year. Cheung also won in straight sets and is now 8-5 on the season.
Finally, Alexis Marquez picked up the first singles win of her Matador career with a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the No. 6 draw.
CSUN head coach Gary Victor was happy to see his team excel against a good Panther squad.
"Middlebury is a top Division III team. This was a good test after a tough week against very good teams," Victor said. "We come into the stretch run of the season trying to get healthy and peak at the right time."
The Matadors return to action on Friday, Mar. 29 with a home match against Rice. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
CSUN 6 Middlebury 1
1. Man-Son-Hing/Yang (CSUN) def. Faber/Kepping (MU): 8-4
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Leung/Gerger (MU): 9-7
3. Warren/Schnyder (CSUN) def. Paradies/Paradies (MU): 7-6 (4)
1. Leung (MU) def. Pistalu (CSUN): 6-4, 6-1
2. Yang (CSUN) def. Gerger (MU): 6-2, 6-2
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Kepping (MU): 7-6 (0), 6-3
4. Cheung (CSUN) def. D. Paradies (MU): 6-0, 6-3
5. Warren (CSUN) def. K. Paradies (MU): 7-6 (4), 6-2
6. Marquez (CSUN) def. Macy (MU): 6-3, 6-1