NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (7-3) defeated New Mexico 4-3 Thursday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex in a non-conference match. CSUN took the doubles point and then secured singles victories from Sabrina Man-Son-Hing, Lorraine Cheung and Anna Yang, who won at the No. 2 draw to clinch the Matadors' victory.
In doubles, CSUN won the top two draws to earn the early advantage. Yang and Man-Son-Hing improved to 10-0 as the No. 1 team with an 8-4 victory. Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung added an 8-1 victory in the No. 2 match to give Northridge the early 1-0 advantage.
Singles action saw the Matadors win in straight sets at No. 3 and No. 4. Man-Son-Hing evened her season record to 4-4 by winning 6-0, 6-3. Lorraine Cheung won her fifth-straight contest 6-1 and 6-3.
The Lobos responded by taking a straight-set decision at No. 5 and a pair of tough three-set victories at No. 1 and No. 6. However, Yang rallied from a second-set defeat to post a 7-5, 3-6, 6-1 victory in the second seed to earn the decisive point.
CSUN head coach Gary Victor attributed the victory to the Matadors' tenacity.
"Lorraine is the absolute example of mental toughness and belief in herself," Victor said. "This victory was big for us as we open our toughest stretch of the season."
The Matadors return to action on Sunday, March 17 with a Big West contest against UC Davis.
CSUN 4 New Mexico 3
1. Yang/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Bezdickova/Richardson (UNM): 8-4
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Grbac/Eggleston (UNM): 8-1
3. Oldani/Khan (UNM) def. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN): 8-1
1. Bezdickova (UNM) def. Pistalu (CSUN): 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-1
2. Yang (CSUN) def. Grbac (UNM): 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Khan (UNM): 6-0, 6-3
4. Cheung (CSUN) def. Eggleston (UNM): 6-1, 6-3
5. Richardson (UNM) def. Schnyder (CSUN): 6-3, 6-2
6. Oldani (UNM) def. Marquez (CSUN): 3-6, 6-2, 6-1