NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis (2-2, 0-2) lost 6-1 to UC Santa Barbara Saturday in a Big West Conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN jumped out to a 1-0 lead after the doubles competition, but the Gauchos won a pair of three-set matches and captured three first-set seven-game victories.
In doubles, seniors Anna Yang and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing continued their strong start to the season with a convincing 8-1 victory in the top draw. At No. 2, Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung cruised to an 8-3 decision to give the Matadors the early advantage.
However, the Matadors were unlucky in their singles competition and UCSB took the match. In the top draw, Yang lost in three sets and Cheung lost a tough three-set contest in the fourth draw.
Although they lost in straight sets, Man-Son-Hing and Corinne Schnyder lost tiebreakers in the first set. Pistalu also fell in straight sets after losing 7-5 in the first set.
CSUN returns to action on Sunday, Feb. 24 with a non-conference match against New Mexico State.
UCSB 6 CSUN 1
Feb. 24, 2013
1. Man-Son-Hing/Yang (CSUN) def. Scatliffe/Garica (UCSB): 8-1
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Cos/Cano (CSUN): 8-3
3. Yam/Meehan (UCSB) def. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN): 6-6 (7-3)
1. Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Yang (CSUN): 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
2. Meehan (UCSB) def. Pistalu (CSUN): 7-5, 6-3
3. Cos (UCSB) def. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN): 7-6 (3), 6-3
4. Garcia (UCSB) def. Cheung (CSUN): 6-3, 6-7 (3), 10-6
5. Yam (UCSB) def. Schnyder (CSUN): 7-6 (3), 6-3
6. Cano (UCSB) def. Warren (CSUN): 6-2, 6-0