Matadors Post 5-2 Victory at Pacific in Big West Action
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (10-7, 3-4 Big West) defeated Pacific 5-2 in a Big West Conference match on the Tigers' campus in Stockton. CSUN swept the doubles point and Anna Yang, Maria Pistalu, Jennifer Sher and Lorraine Cheung won singles contests as the Matadors won an important league contest.
Having lost to UC Davis the day before, Northridge rebounded sharply with a solid performance on the road. Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (No. 1) and Nigora Sirojiddinova and Yang (No. 2) both won 9-7 in their respective matches and Cheung and Pistalu posted an 8-4 win in the third draw to open play.
In singles, Yang and Pistalu were the first two Matadors to finish. Both posted straight-set victories and the win was Yang's fifth-straight in singles play. Sher wrapped up the victory with a straight-set victory, her 12th of the season, in the top draw.
Cheung rallied for a three-set victory in the sixth draw, the only singles contest that went to a decisive third set. Sirojiddinova (No. 2) and Man-Son-Hing (No. 3) both lost in straight sets.
CSUN returns to action on Sunday, April 15 with its home finale against Cal Poly. First serve is slated for 11 a.m. at Matador Tennis Complex.
Final Score: Cal State Northridge 5, Pacific 2
1. Jennifer Sher/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Julia Hansen/Iveta Masarova (Pacific) 9-7
2. Nigora Sirojiddinova/Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Gergana Boncheva/ Summer Irvin (Pacific) 9-7
3. Lorraine Cheung/ Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Regina Suarez/ Susan Te (Pacific) 8-4
Order of Completion: 3, 2, 1
1. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Iveta Masarova (Pacific) 7-5, 6-3
2. Julia Hansen (Pacific) def. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 7-6(7), 6-3
3. Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) def. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) 6-4, 6-3
4. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Summer Irvin (Pacific) 6-4, 6-1
5. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Susan Te (Pacific) 7-5, 6-3
6. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Regina Suarez (Pacific) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
Order of Completion: 4, 3, 1, 5, 2, 6