April 7, 2011
AUSTIN, Texas - Seniors Sherrina Lofton and Desirae Gonder both finished in the top-seven in the heptathlon to lead the Cal State Northridge women's track & field team at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, Texas.
Lofton finished the meet in sixth-place with 5,366 points, her second best heptathlon score ever while Gonder finished seventh in the 25-athlete field with 5,294 points which is just 44 points off her season best.
"I'm really pleased with where we are at this time of the year," said associate head coach Avery Anderson. "The totals Sherrina and Desirae put up are really good scores especially at this meet which is probably the second-biggest national meet, outside of nationals, for multi-events."
Both Lofton and Gonder opened the competition strong as Lofton ran a lifetime-best 14.18 to finish sixth in the 100 meter hurdles. Gonder also ran well finishing 10th in a season-best of 14.43. Lofton earned 953 points while Gonder opened with 918.
The second event, the high jump, is one of Gonder specialties and the senior did not disappoint as she finished first with a height of 5-9.25 (1.76) which was just off her season-best of 5-9.75. Lofton was 10th with a top clearance of 5-5.75 (1.67) to earn 818 points. Gonder's first place finish was good for 928 points.
The shot put was next and Lofton finished 12th at 36-9 (11.20) to earn 608 points while Gonder took 21st at 30-9.75 (9.39) to pick up an additional 490 points. The opening day of competition finished with the 200 meters and both athletes ran well as Lofton finished third in 24.20 and Gonder was fifth in 24.69. Lofton's time was her best wind legal time of the season and was good for 962 points while Gonder's time was a season-best and earned her 915 points.
Lofton was fifth after four events with 3,341 points while Gonder stood seventh with 3,251 points.
Thursday's competition opened with the long jump and Gonder had the better mark of the two Matadors as she finished sixth at 18-9.25 (5.72) which earned her 765 points. Lofton, one of CSUN's top long jumpers, was a disappointing 14th with a best of 17-2.25 (5.24) which gave her 626 points.
In the javelin, Lofton took eighth with a best throw of 114-8 (34.96) while Gonder finished 18th with a best of 93-11 (28.64). Lofton earned 571 points to take a total of 4,538 into the final event. Gonder had a total of 4,467 heading into the 800 meters.
Eight other Northridge athletes will compete over the next three days of the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays.
University of Texas
84th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays
Presented by State Farm
Univ.of Texas-Mike A. Myers Stadium - Austin, TX
WOMEN'S HEPTATHLON - FINAL RESULTS
1. Chelsea Carrier, West Virginia - 5,927 points
2. Ryann Krais, Kansas State - 5,848
3. Daphne Fitzpatrick, Texas A&M - 5,638
4. Makeba Alcide, Arkansas - 5,543
5. Olimpia Nowak, Northern Iowa - 5,382
6. Sherrina Lofton, Northridge - 5,366
7. Desirae Gonder, Northridge - 5,294
8. Brittany Harrell, Florida - 5,141
9. Lisa Egarter, SMU - 5,116
10. Megan Frausto, Houston - 5,106
11. Whitney Carlson, North Dakota State - 5,072
12. Leah Orley, Arkansas - 5,032
13. Rebecca Neville, Kansas - 5,000
14. Katherine Evans, Texas State - 4,969
15. Christina Mitchell, Liberty - 4,968
16. Marine Menez, UTEP - 4,834
17. Brittany Cheese, Akron - 4,817
18. Allison Barwise, Boston U. - 4,778
19. Katelyn Williams, West Virginia - 4,699
20. Jessica Shadley, Baylor - 4,507
21. Patria Norman, Charleston Southern - 4,490
22. Aimee Jonas, UTSA - 4,486
23. Shartan Swearengin, UTSA - 4,382
24. Lauren Rover, Baylor - 4,205
DNF Ajla Glavasevic, Buffalo
- GO MATADORS -