Cal State Northridge Travels To Cal State Bakersfield
Dec. 16, 2010
After an eleven day break partly due to finals, the Cal State Northridge basketball team is back on the road again, this time another non-league affair at Cal State Bakersfield (6-5) on Saturday, December 18, 2010, at 7:05 p.m. at Rabobank Arena ... Seven of the team's nine games thus far have been either road games or neutral site contests ... But wait, the Matadors are coming home for a three game set on December 22 against Santa Clara of the West Coast Conference (WCC), December 28 against Pacific to open the Big West Conference season, and then on Dec. 30 against UC Davis ... All three home games at The Matadome tipoff at 7 p.m. ... Cal State Northridge is 3-6 overall, 2-0 at home, 0-4 on the road, and 1-2 on neutral courts ... The CSUN-CSUB game will air on internet radio (www.gomatadors.com) with Bill Courtland and Alan Zinsmeister handling the broadcast chores ... The games at Cal State Bakersfield will be no easy affair ... In the last two meetings at Rabobank Arena, home of Cal State Bakersfield, the Matadors have dropped a 67-65 decision (11/21/08) and a 59-57 verdict last year (2/10/10) ... The series is deadlocked at 21-21 ... The 42-game series is the ninth-longest in Cal State Northridge basketball history.
* Matador head coach Bobby Braswell is in his 15th season at Cal State Northridge with a mark of 219-208 (.513) ... Braswell has coached CSUN to a 3-2 record against Cal State Bakersfield.
* A check of the Big West Conference statistics will find several CSUN student-athletes among the league leaders.
* Dathan Lyles (5-11, 175, Senior, Guard, Lima, Oh) is #3 in the Big West Conference in assists (5.00 apg) ... In three games, Lyles has dished out seven or more assists, including a career-high nine against Vanguard (11/20/10) ... Lyles has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 45-21.
* Lenny Daniel (6-8, 205, Senior, Forward, Richmond, Va) is second in field goal percentage (.577), third in the league in rebounding (8.9 rpg) and seventh in blocks (1.0 bpg) ... Daniel has grabbed ten or more rebounds in four games, including a career-high 15 boards at Air Force (12/2/109) ... Daniel is shooting .701 (47-for-67) from the floor in his last five games.
* Rashaun McLemore (6-5, 205, Senior, G/F, Richmond, Va) is fifth in the Big West Conference in free throw shooting (.842, 16-for-19) and seventh in 3-pointers made (1.75 pg) ... McLemore has made his last 12 free throws over a six-game span. * Michael Lizarraga (6-7, 230, Senior, Forward, Dixon, Ca) is tenth in the Big West Conference in blocked shots (0.78 bpg).
* Frankie Eteuati (6-10, 185, Freshman, Forward, Los Angeles, Ca) is fourth in the BWC in blocks at 1.22 per game ... Eteuati blocked a season-high three blocks in games against DePaul (11/26/10) and at Air Force (122/2/10).
* Vinnie McGhee (5-10, 165, Junior, Guard, Oakland, Ca) is ninth in the Big West Conference in three-pointers made (1.75 pg) ... McGhee has at least one 3-pointer in seven games, including a season-high three 3-pointers against Virginia Tech (11/25/10), Tulsa (11/28/10), Air Force (12/2/10) and Cal Lutheran (12/7/10).
* Lenny Daniel (6-8, 205, Senior, Forward, Richmond, Va) and Rashaun McLemore (6-5, 205, Senior, G/F, Richmond, Va) have combined for 40.5 ppg, ninth-best in the BWC ... James Nunnally & Orlando Johnson of UCSB are #1 at 62.6 ppg.
* Lenny Daniel (6-8, 205, Senior, Forward, Richmond, Va) has three double-doubles (points-rebounds) this year, third-best in the Big West Conference behind Sam Williard of Pacific and T.J. Robinson of Long Beach, who have six each.
* Cal State Northridge is ranked #1 in the Big West Conference in rebound margin (+4.8) ... CSUN has outrebounded its opponents in six games.
* Cal State Northridge is ranked #2 in the Big West Conference in rebounding at 37.0 per game.
* Cal State Northridge is ranked #2 in the Big West Conference in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.313).
* Cal State Northridge is ranked #3 in the Big West Conference in assists (13.89 apg) and blocked shots (3.56 bpg).
* Lenny Daniel (6-8, 205, Senior, Forward, Richmond, Va) has moved to the top of the scoring charts for Cal State Northridge ... After scoring only two points and shooting 0-for-12 from the floor in the first two games of the year, Daniel has caught fire on the offensive and defensive ends of the court ... In the last five games (DePaul, Tulsa, Air Force, Denver, Cal Lutheran), Daniel has averaged 24.0 points and 10.8 rebounds per game while shooting .701 (47-for-67) from the floor.
* Daniel has now upped his season average from 1.0 ppg in the first two games to 16.1 ppg (#6 in the Big West Conference) for the season.
* Daniel is shooting .577 (56-for-97) from the floor, second-best in the Big West Conference.
* Daniel is now third in the Big West Conference in rebounding at 9.3 per game.
* Daniel has recorded three double-doubles in the last five games ... In his last game against Cal Lutheran (12/7/10), Daniel tied his career-high in points (31) and field goals (15-for-18) along with 13 rebounds and three blocks.
* Daniel has recorded eleven double-doubles in two seasons at Cal State Northridge.
* The superb performance by Daniel at the recent 76 Classic in Anaheim netted the senior forward Big West Player of the Week honors ... Daniel averaged 20.7 points (#2 in the tournament) and led all rebounders (10.3 rpg) during the three-game tournament that featured a high quality field of eight teams, five of whom competed in NCAA or NIT post-season competition last year ... In helping Cal State Northridge to an 86-66 victory over DePaul (11/26/10) of the Big East Conference, Daniel scored a career-high 31 points (11-for-15 from the floor) along with a game-high ten rebounds ... The 31 points scored by Daniel against DePaul were the most points scored by any player in the 76 Classic, and the third-best scoring effort in the four-year history of the tournament ... The 31-point, ten-rebound performance against DePaul also gave Cal State Northridge its first victory over a Big East school in the 53-year history of Matador history ... In the first game of the 76 Classic, Daniel collected 13 rebounds against Virginia Tech (11/25/10), the most by any player in the 76 Classic ... In the final game of the 76 Classic on Sunday, Daniel scored 24 points (9-for-12 from the floor) along with eight rebounds and two blocks against Tulsa ... Daniel was outstanding from the field at the 76 Classic, hitting 23-of-36 shots for .639.
* Daniel has blocked nine shots (#7 in the BWC) this year to give him 53 for his career, sixth-best in school history.
* Challenging is always the trademark of the CSUN basketball schedule, and this year is no exception.
* CSUN started the year with two games against Pac-10 schools at UCLA (L, 53-80, 11/12/10) and at California (L, 63-80, 11/16/10).
* In Bobby Braswell's previous 14 years as head coach at CSUN, the Matadors have scheduled at least one Pac-10 school in 13 of those years ... The Pac-10 opponents have included Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, UCLA, Washington and Washington State.
* CSUN competed against national notables Virginia Tech (L, 56-72, 11/25/10), DePaul (W, 88-66, 11/26/10) and Tulsa (L, 63-80, 11/28/10) in the 76 Classic (11/25 to 11/28/10) at the Anaheim Convention Center.
* Five Cal State Northridge men's basketball games will appear on ESPN's family of networks and Fox Sports Net.
* CSUN's game at Denver (12/4/10) was televised on Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain.
* CSUN's three games (Virginia Tech, DePaul, Tulsa) at the 76 Classic (Nov. 25-28) were televised live on ESPNU.
* One Big West Conference game will be televised on Fox Sports Net (Prime) ... That game will be CSUN's home contest against Cal Poly on Saturday, January 22 ... Game time at The Matadome is 1:00 p.m.
* CSUN will have other opportunities to be on television during the 2010-11 season ... The ESPN Brackbuster games that are slated either Friday (Feb. 18), Saturday (Feb. 19) or Sunday (Feb. 20) will be on either ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU ... The semi-finals of the Big West Tournament on Friday, March 11, will be televised on ESPNU ... The Big West Championship game will be seen on ESPN2.
* Winners of six of its last seven games, Cal State Bakersfield has raised its season record to 6-5.
* The Roadrunners are 4-1 at Rabobank Arena which includes a 82-77 victory over San Jose State (11/24/10), and a 77-69 verdict over USF (77-69).
* Cal State Bakersfield has played one other Big West school in addition to Saturday's game against Cal State Northridge ... The Roadrunners dropped a 85-75 decison at Cal State Fullerton (11/27/10).
* Stephon Carter (6-3, 195. Sophomore, Guard, Bakersfield, Ca) leads a trio of double-digit scorers at 18.7 ppg ... Carter, who also leads CSUB in assists (32) and steals (26), scored 30 points (14-for-18) in his last game vs Portland State (12/15/10) ... Other double-digit scorers are Donavan Bragg (6-3, 200, Senior, Guard, Inglewood, Ca) at 13.8 ppg and Alex Johnson (5-10 170, Junior, guard, Toronto, Ont.) at 13.5 ppg ... Rashad Savage (6-6, 220, Junior, Forward, Philadelphia, Pa) at 10.0 ppg ... Savage, who has led CSUB in rebounding in all ten games, is averaging 10.7 rpg.
* Keith Brown is in his sixth season as head coach at Cal State Bakersfield with a record of 65-91.
* The 42-game series between Cal State Northridge and Cal State Bakersfield is the ninth-longest in school history.
* The series is knotted at 21-21.
* Cal State Bakersfield has won the last two games between the two teams at Rabobank Arena ... That included a 59-57 victory over the Matadors last year.
* The Big West Conference and the Honda Center (home of the NHL's Anaheim Ducks) have teamed up to form a five-year partnership to host the annual men's and women's post-season basketball tournaments beginning in 2011.
* The Big West Tournament is the oldest NCAA Division I post-season basketball tournament in the west dating back to 1976 ... The Big West Tournament had been held at the Anaheim Convention Center (1977-82 and 2001-2010).
* Tickets are on sale for the 2011 Big West Tournament which will be held on March 10-12, 2011 ... All-Session tickets are good for all games ... The regular price is $64 per ticket ... Go to www.bigwest.org for more information.
* For the first time in the 53-year history of Cal State Northridge basketball, the Matadors scored a win over a Big East school when they scored a 88-66 win over DePaul (11/26/10).
* Lenny Daniel, Dathan Lyles & Rashaun McLemore are serving as team captains in 2010-11.
* With ten new players, including eight freshmen, on the 17-man CSUN roster in 2010-11, this is the youngest team head coach Bobby Braswell will coach as he is in the midst of his 15th season as head coach at Cal State Northridge ... CSUN only has nine years of NCAA season experience, three of those seasons by senior Michael Lizarraga ... Only Cal State Fullerton (6 years) and UC Riverside (7 years) have younger Big West Conference teams than CSUN.