February 10, 2008
Nationally-Ranked CSUN Falls Twice At UCSD Invitational
La Jolla, Ca -
The nationally-ranked Cal State Northridge women's water polo team suffered a pair of tough losses to conclude tournament play on Sunday at the UC San Diego Invitational.
In the first game of the day, eighth-ranked UC Davis handed Cal State Northridge a 9-7 loss. All-American Allison Brookes
tallied three goals while Kirra Kylander
and Chelsea Curran
added a pair of goals each. This was a physical game that featured 24 total exclusions. Kylander and Brookes gave the Matadors a 2-1 first period lead, but the Aggies tied the game at halftime, 4-4.
UC Davis held a 6-5 lead after three periods of play, but the Matadors tied the game at 6-6 on a 6-on-5 goal in the opening minute of the fourth quarter. However, UC Davis scored the next two goals to take the lead for good.
In the final game of the day to determine the seventh place finisher in the tournament, 15th-ranked UC San Diego scored a goal in sudden victory overtime to hand the Matadors an 8-7 loss. Curran scored three goals while Jessica Coy
added a pair of goals to lead the CSUN attack.
With the clock at 0:21.2, a long shot from a UCSD player deflected off a Matador defender into the back of the night and the Tritons handed the Matadors their third loss of the season.
During the two day tournament, Curran scored eight goals while Brookes collected seven goals to lead the Matadors attack.
Cal State Northridge, 3-3 this year, hosts top-ranked UCLA on Saturday (2/6/08) at Noon.
UC Davis 9, Cal State Northridge 7
Cal State Northridge 2 2 1 2 = 7
UC Davis 1 3 2 3 = 9
- 3 goals (:02 left in first quarter; 4:53 left in second quarter; 4:52 left in third quarter)
- 2 goals (4:17 left in first quarter; 1:49 left in fourth quarter)
- 2 goals (1:21 left in second quarter; 6:49 in the fourth quarter)
UC San Diego 8, Cal State Northridge 7 (sudden victory overtime)
- 3 goals (7:15 left in first quarter; :33 left in second quarter; :11 left in second overtime)
- 2 goals (7:37 left in second quarter; 5:47 left in second quarter)
- 1 goal (2:13 left in first quarter)
- 1 goal (4:32 left in first quarter)