DAVIS, Calif. - The first weekend of the Big West Track & Field Championships concluded Saturday and the Cal State Northridge women picked up nine points in the heptathlon while the men were just out of the scoring in the decathlon.
The multi-events, held at Toomey Field & Woody Wilson Track, precede the main portion of the championships which will be held at the same facility next weekend.
Stephanie Hicks led a trio of CSUN scorers in the heptathlon as the senior came close to her personal-best in the event with 4,725 points which was good for fourth (five points). Hicks was 1,145 points shy of her lifetime-best (4,773) heading into the final two events on Saturday before coming up just short. The senior opened with a personal-best 18-7.25 (5.67) in the long jump to finish third before taking eighth in the javelin (93-6) and 10th in the 800 meters (2:33.60).
Olympia Jewett added three points with a sixth place finish as the junior scored 4,596 points while freshman Emma Millard finished second in the final event, the 800 meters, to grab eighth and one crucial point for the CSUN women's team. Millard wound up with 4,429 points while Jealinda Mills scored 4,309 points for 11th place.
The CSUN men hoped to steal a point or two in the decathlon but finished just outside the scoring as sophomore Grant Weiss finished ninth with 5,843 points and Taylor Cudequest was 10th with 5,815.
Weiss, making his debut in the event, opened the second day much as he did day one with a win in the 110 meter hurdles (14.88). The sophomore moved into scoring position after the hurdles but had four tough events remaining. An 11th place finish in the discus, a 10th place finish in the pole vault, a ninth place finish in the javelin and a fourth place finish in the 1,500 meters dropped Weiss just 37 points out of the eighth and final scoring position.
Cudequest, who was ninth as a freshman in 2013, looked to improve on his career-best total (6,183) but coming off an injury proved too much as he finished at 5,815.
BIG WEST TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Friday-Saturday, May 9-10, 2014
Toomey Field & Woody Wilson Track - UC Davis
1. Kaleigh Morrison, Hawaii - 5,210 (10 pts)
2. Danielle Littleton, UC Riverside - 5,045 (8)
3. Tori Usgaard, UCSB - 4,747 (6)
4. Stephanie Hicks, CSUN - 4,725 (5)
5. Melanie Speech, UC Irvine - 4,672 (4)
6. Olympia Jewett, CSUN - 4,596 (3)
7. Kira Rienecker, UC Davis - 4,555 (2)
8. Emma Millard, CSUN - 4,429 (1)
9. Jessica Davis, Cal Poly - 4,361
10. Jordan Agnew, Long Beach State - 4,341
11. Jealinda Mills, CSUN - 4,309
12. Taylor Frank, Cal State Fullerton - 4,189
13. Murphy Nicholson, UC Davis - 4,077
14. Nicolette Garcia, Cal State Fullerton - 3,897
15. Kayla Kirk, Hawaii - 3,815
1. Garrett Demirjian, Long Beach State - 7,014 (10)
2. Devin Bennett, Cal Poly - 6,853 (8)
3. Nick Ahrold, Cal Poly - 6,403 (6)
4. Alexander Ostrowski, Cal State Fullerton - 6,286 (5)
5. Darion Williams, UCSB - 6,271 (4)
6. Teddy Scranton, Cal Poly - 6,049 (3)
7. Cameron Pizzica, Long Beach State - 5,994 (2)
8. Ike Okpara, UCSB - 5,880 (1)
9. Grant Weiss, CSUN - 5,843
10. Taylor Cudequest, CSUN - 5,815
11. Kevin Hammer, UC Davis - 5,723
- GOMATADORS.COM -