April 24, 2010
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (12-7) defeated UC San Diego, 7-0, in its regular season finale Saturday at the Matador Tennis Complex. Northridge now heads to the Big West Championships in Indian Wells, Calif., as the No. 5 seed where it will face No. 4 Cal Poly at 3 p.m.
Saturday's match was also the final match for junior Whitney Paluch, who will graduate early this spring with a degree in psychology. She won her No. 4 singles match over Anita Athavale, 6-3 and 6-2, to improve her singles record to 8-10 on the season.
In doubles, CSUN cruised to a sweep and did not lose more than four games in any of the three matches. Northridge finished the regular season with a 38-15 mark in doubles play.
In singles, CSUN won four of the six matches in straight sets. Nigora Sirojiddinova finished the regular season with a team-best 15-3 mark on the season. Freshman Maria Pistalu also capped off a solid rookie season to earn her 13th victory of the season.
The Matadors now head to Indian Wells and the Big West Championships for the match with Cal Poly on Friday, April 30. The Mustangs posted a 6-1 victory over the Matadors earlier in the year in San Luis Obispo.
1. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Taskeen Bains (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
2. Brooke Doane (CSUN) def. Natalie Varnay (UCSD) 5-7, 4-1, retired (illness)
3. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Cindy Dao (UCSD) 7-6, 6-2
4. Whitney Paluch (CSUN) def. Anita Athavale (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
5. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Samantha Yeung (UCSD) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
6. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
1. Brooke Doane/Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Taskeen Bains/Natalie Varnay (UCSD) 8-4
2. Nina Jaworowski/Whitney Paluch (CSUN) def. Anita Athavale/Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 8-4
3. Nigora Sirojiddinova/Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Samantha Yeung/Cindy Dao (UCSD) 8-1