April 8, 2010
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (10-6, 4-3 Big West) defeated Pacific, 4-3, Wednesday afternoon in an important Big West Conference match. The Matadors won the doubles point against the Tigers, then took three of the bottom four matches in the singles draw to pick up their second road Big West victory in as many days.
After Tuesday's 6-1 victory over UC Davis, CSUN entered the match at 3-3 and facing a 2-3 Pacific team on its home court. Wednesday, the Matadors answered the call, improving their record and seeding in the upcoming Big West Tournament.
In singles action, CSUN took three of the first four singles matches to finish, winning the match. Widjaja took a straight-set victory over Jaworowski at No. 1 , 6-1 and 6-3.
Yang was the next to complete her match, winning 6-4 and 6-4 in straight sets at No. 6. Sirojiddinova was the next to finish, handing Hansen a 6-3, 6-3 decision at No. 3. Yang is 10-6 on the season and Sirojiddinova is 13-2 on the year.
Pistalu won the match for the Matadors. She was the fourth singles player to finish, winning 6-1 and 6-3 over Fisher at No. 5. The freshman from Munich is now 12-3 on the season.
Paluch lost her No. 4 match to Gumenyuk 7-5 and 6-2. Doane suffered a tough loss at No. 2, falling 7-6 and 7-6 in her No. 2 match to Goehl.
The Matadors return to action on Apr. 10, when they host Long Beach State at the Matador Tennis Complex. First serve is slated for noon.
CSUN 4, Pacific 3
1. Widjaja/Fisher (PAC) def. Doane/Yang (CSUN) 8-3
2. Jaworowski/Paluch (CSUN) def. Irvin/Hansen (PAC) 8-2
3. Sirojiddinova/Pistalu (CSUN) def. Goehl/Gumenyuk (PAC) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,2, 3
1. Jenifer Widjaja (PAC) def. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) 6-1, 6-3
2. Christina Goehl (PAC) def. Brooke Doane (CSUN) 7-6 (4), 7-6 (8)
3. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Julia Hansen (PAC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Olga Gumenyuk (PAC) def. Whitney Paluch (CSUN) 7-5, 6-2
5. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Sasha Fisher (PAC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Sarah Irvin (PAC) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,6,3,5,4,2