March 28, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (9-11) dropped a 5-2 decision to Harvard Saturday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. Northridge took the top two singles matches and also earned a win in the top-seeded doubles contest.
Evgeniya Vertesheva and Brooke Doane are now 15-2 on the year, all at the top-seeded doubles position. Saturday, they defeated Beier Ko and Agnes Sibilski, 8-4. However, the Crimson would take the doubles point as Samantha Rosenkrans and Caroline Davis defeated Sandra Kukla and Whitney Paluch, 8-5, in the third spot.
In singles, Vertesehva won the first set, 6-4, before Ko had to retire in the No. 1 match to improve her singles record to 10-9 this season, all at the top singles spot. At No. 2, Jawororwski posted a 7-6, 6-1 victory over Peterzan to earn her 11th singles win of the season.
Harvard would take the rest of the singles matches. Doane dropped a 6-2, 6-3 decision at three to Rosenkrans and Paluch fell, 6-1 and 7-5, to Sibilski at four. Holly Cao defeated Sirojiddinova, 6-1 and 6-1, at five and Kukla lost her sixth-seeded match, 6-0 and 6-0.
Northridge closes out its 2009 home schedule on Apr. 3 with a non-conference match against Loyola Marymount. First serve from the Matador Tennis Complex is slated for 2 p.m.
Harvard 5, CSUN 2
1. Vertesheva/Doane (CSUN) def. Ko/Sibilski (HAR) 8-4
2. Jania/Peterzan (HAR) def. Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 9-7
3. Davis/Rosenkrans (HAR) def. Kukla/Paluch (CSUN) 8-5
1. Vertesheva (CSUN) def. Ko (HAR) 6-4, Retired
2. Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Peterzan (HAR) 7-6, 6-1
3. Rosenkrans (HAR) def. Doane (CSUN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Sibilski (HAR) def. Paluch (CSUN) 6-1, 7-5
5. Cao (HAR) def. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jania (HAR) def. Kukla (CSUN) 6-0, 6-0