March 25, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (9-9) fell 6-1 to Dartmouth Wednesday at the Matador Tennis Complex. Despite Brooke Doane's wins at both doubles and singles in the match, the Matadors saw their six-match winning streak snapped by the Big Green.
Doane improved her singles record to 8-7 with a 6-3, 7-6 (3) victory against Mary Beth Winingham in the second-seeded match. In doubles, she teamed with Whitney Paluch for the first time this season to win their top-seeded doubles match, 8-4, over Winingham and Molly Scott.
CSUN nearly took the doubles point, as Nina Jaworowski and Nigora Sirojiddinova overcame a 6-0 start to ultimately fall 8-6 in the second position against Jesse Adler and Carissa King. The team of Ashley Macias and Amira Massi lost their No. 3 match to Julia Zak and Georgiana Smyser, 8-3.
In singles, the Matadors all moved up a seed because Evgeniya Vertesheva did not play Wednesday. Nina Jaworowski played at the No. 1 position, falling 6-3 and 6-0 to Molly Scott. Whitney Paluch nearly earned a second point, falling 7-5 in straight sets to Adler at the third spot.
In the bottom half of the bracket, Sirojiddinova lost 6-2, 6-1 to Smizer at four. Sandra Kukla played at five for Northridge, falling 6-4 and 7-5 to Carley Markovitz. Finally, Macias dropped a 6-2, 6-1 to Ashley Mitchell in the sixth-seeded match.
Northridge returns to action on Friday with a pivotal match against No. 49 UC Irvine. The Matadors and Anteaters will tangle at the Matador Tennis Complex with first serve slated for 2 p.m.
Dartmouth 6, Northridge 1
1. Doane/Paluch (CSUN) def. Winingham/Scott (DU) 8-4
2. Adler/King (DU) def. Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 8-6
3. Zak/Smyser (DU) def. Macias/Massi (CSUN) 8-3
1. Scott (DU) def. Jaworowski (CSUN) 6-3, 6-0
2. Doane (CSUN) def. Winingham (DU) 6-3 7-6 (3)
3. Adler (DU) def. Paluch (CSUN) 7-5, 7-5
4. Smizer (DU) def. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 6-2, 6-1
5. Markovitz (DU) def. Kukla (CSUN) 6-4, 7-5
6. Mitchell (DU) def. Macias (CSUN) 6-2, 6-1