March 20, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (8-8) defeated Columbia, 5-2, Friday afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex. The Matadors have now won five-straight matches and six of their last seven with the win against Lions.
Nina Jaworowski, who was named Big West Co-Athlete of the week earlier in the day, teamed with Nigora Sirojiddinova to defeat Marlena Hall and Carling Donovan, 8-1. They are now 8-6 on the season having won four of their last five.
In singles, CSUN won four of the top five matches without dropping a set at the top two seeds. Vertesehva evened her season record at 8-8 with a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Makarova in the top seeded match. Jaworowski has now won nine of her last 11 and five straight following a 6-2, 7-5 victory against Stanziola in the second match.
Also picking up wins for Northridge in singles competition were Paluch and Sirojiddinova. Paluch extended her winning streak to five straight with a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Donova in the No. 4 match. Sirojiddinova now owns an 8-8 record with a 7-5, 1-6, 10-8 victory at the fifth spot against Hall.
Doane was forced to retire before the conclusion of her third-seeded match against Mattache. Amira Massi played in the sixth spot for Northridge, dropping a 6-2, 6-0 decision to Suda.
The Matadors return to action on Monday, Mar. 23 with a match against San Francisco. First serve at Matador Tennis Complex is slated for 2 p.m.
Northridge 5, Columbia 2
1. Vertesheva/Doane (CSUN) def. Suda/Makarova (CU) 8-1
2. Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Hall/Donovan (CU) 8-1
3. Kukla/Paluch (CSUN) def. Mattache/Stanziola (CU) 8-2
1. Vertesehva (CSUN) def. Marakova (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Stanziola (CU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Mattache (CU) def. Doane (CSUN) 6-7 (4), 6-3, retired
4. Paluch (CSUN) def. Donovan (CU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Hall (CU) 7-5, 1-6, 10-8
6. Suda (CU) def. Massi (CSUN) 6-2, 6-0