CSUN Tennis Falls 6-1 to Dartmouth
March 19, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (10-8) lost 6-1 to Dartmouth Saturday afternoon in a non-conference dual match at Matador Tennis Complex. Brooke Doane won in both doubles and singles for Northridge, who nearly defeated its second Ivy League opponent in as many days.
Facing the Big Green, Northridge nearly posted it second-straight win over an Ivy League foe in as many days. The Matadors defeated Columbia, 5-2, on Friday, Mar. 18.
Dartmouth jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by taking two of the three doubles contests. Doane and Jennifer Sher won their top-seeded match, 8-0, but the Big Green took the second and third contests, including a 9-7 decision at No. 3.
In singles, Doane cruised to a straight-set victory at the second draw, winning 6-2 and 6-3. However, she would be the only Matador to register a point as CSUN dropped several tough contests in the decisive third set.
Sher lost in three sets in the No. 1 draw. Nigora Sirojiddinova also lost in three sets at the No. 3 draw. Maria Pistalu also fell in three sets at the No. 4 draw. The Big Green posted straight-set victories in the fifth and sixth singles contests.
The Matadors remain at home for their next contest, a dual match with the Bowdoin College Polar Bears. First serve on Mar. 21, is slated for 2 p.m.
Dartmouth 6, CSUN 1
1. Sher/Doane def. Scott/Matsuoka: 8-0
2. R. Reichel/Smyser def. Man-Son-Hing/Pistalu: 8-4
3. J. Reicher/Danosi def. Yang/Sirojiddinova: 9-7
1. Scott def. Sher: 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (0)
2. Doane def. Leonrard: 6-2, 6-3
3. Matsuoka def. Sirojiddinova: 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. R. Reichel def. Pistalu: 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
5. Danosi def. Cheung: 6-2, 6-4
6. Smyser def. Man-Son-Hing: 6-1, 6-1