March 19, 2010
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (7-3) defeated the University of Wyoming, 4-3, Friday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. Nigora Sirojiddinova clinched the match with her 6-2, 4-6 and 6-2 victory over Rebecca Berger in the No. 4 singles match.
Moving her record to a team-best 8-1 (.889) in singles play, Sirojiddinova and Berger were the last to finish in a tightly played match. The Matadors also took two out of the doubles matches to help edge the Cowgirls.
In doubles, CSUN won at the top and third-seeded draw. Brooke Doane and Anna Yang improved to 7-2 with an 8-1 victory over Sarah Summerfield and Kim Van Ginkel in the No. 1 match. At No. 3, Maria Pistalu and Sirjiddinova took an 8-3 decision over Simona Synkova and Sasa Nemcova. They are now 6-2 on the season as well.
In singles, Doane snapped a three-game losing streak in No. 1 singles play. She topped Summerfield 6-2 and 6-3 to move to 6-4 on the year.
Pistalu earned the third Matador point, winning 7-6 (1) and 7-5 over Nemcova at the No. 6 draw. She is now 8-2 on the year in singles play.
Three Matadors suffered losses in singles play. Jaworowski lost to Kovacs, 6-0 and 6-3, in the No. 2 match. Synkova beat Paluch, 6-0, 4-6 and 6-1 in the No. 3 draw. Finally, Yang lost a pair of tiebreakers, falling to Van Ginkel 7-6 (5) and 7-6 (3) in the No. 5 match.
Northridge returns to action on Wednesday, Mar. 24 when it hosts Dartmouth College at the Matador Tennis Complex. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
CSUN 4, Wyoming 3
1. Doane/Yang (CSUN) def. Summerfield/Van Ginkel (UW) 8-1
2. Berger/Kovacs (UW) def. Jaworowski/Paluch (CSUN) 8-4
3. Pistalu/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Synkova/Nemcova (UW) 8-3
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Brooke Doane (CSUN) def. Sarah Summerfield (UW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) 6-0, 6-3
3. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Whitney Paluch (CSUN) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
4. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Rebecca Burger (UW) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Kim Van Ginkel (UW) def. Anna Yang (CSUN) 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3)
6. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Sasa Nemcova (UW) 7-6 (1), 7-5
Order of Finish: 2,1,6,5,3,4