Northridge Women's Tennis Powers Past Memphis, 6-1
March 13, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women’s tennis team (6-8) defeated Memphis, 6-1, in a non-conference match Friday at Matador Tennis Complex. Sophomore Whitney Paluch turned in an impressive performance for the Matadors, winning her No. 4 singles match in straight sets and teaming with Sandra Kukla to win their third doubles match in an impressive rally.
Playing at the fourth spot, Paluch defeated Amanda Brown, 6-1 and 6-3. In her doubles match, Paluch and Kukla rallied from a 7-4 deficit to defeat Dara Toluch and Kristin Chamberlain, 9-7.
In other doubles action, Evgeniya Vertesheva and Brooke Doane lost their first No. 1 doubles match since Jan. 21, falling 8-5 to Ashley Murdock and Marjorie Ondeck. However, the Matadors would take the doubles point as Nina Jaworowski and Nigora Sirojiddinova defeated Sarah Irvin and Brown at the second spot, 8-1.
In singles action, Vertesheva rebounded with a 7-6 (4), 1-6, 7-5 victory over Murdock in the top draw. At the second spot, Jaworowski defeated Ondeck in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-0. Doane also won her singles match, prevailing 6-4 and 6-3 over Irvin at the third spot.
In the bottom half of the bracket, Sirojiddinova defeated Toluch, 6-2 and 6-3, at the fifth spot. The Tigers would win their only point of the match at the sixth position, as Ashley Macias lost 6-2 and 7-5 to Chamberlain.
The Matadors return to action on Sunday, Mar. 15, when they host Big West rival Pacific. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
- Murdock/Ondeck (MEM) def. Doane/Vertesheva (CSUN) 8-5
- Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Irvin/Brown (MEM) 8-1
- Paluch/Kukla (CSUN) def. Chamberlain/Toluch (MEM) 9-7
- Vertesheva (CSUN) def. Murdock (MEM) 7-6 (4), 1-6, 7-5
- Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Ondeck (MEM) 6-4, 6-0
- Doane (CSUN) def. Irvin (MEM) 6-4, 6-3
- Paluch (CSUN) def. Brown (MEM) 6-1, 6-3
- Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Toluch (MEM) 6-2, 6-3
- Chamberlain (MEM) def. Macias (CSUN) 6-2, 7-5