Northridge Tennis Defeats UAB, 6-1, Wednesday Afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex
March 11, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (5-8) defeated the University of Alabama-Birmingham, 6-1, Wednesday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. The Matadors swept the doubles matches against the Blazers and Evgeniya Vertesheva won her fourth-straight singles match at the No. 1 position.
Vertesheva won in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-1, over Evelien Strijker to improve her season record to 6-7 for the season, having competed solely at the top position. She teamed with Brooke Doane at the top doubles spot to win an 8-2 decision over Strijker and Paula Alvarez. The duo has now won 10 straight No. 1 doubles matches this season.
In other doubles action, Nina Jaworowski and Nigora Sirojiddinova defeated Jenny Cape and Giorgia Romeo, 8-2, at the second spot. Finally, Sandra Kukla and Whitney Paluch won the third doubles match, 8-4, over Brittany DeFelice and Ceylan Engin.
Jaworowski then won her No. 2 doubles match over Alvarez, 6-4 and 6-2, and Doane won her third singles match against Romeo, 6-4 and 7-6.
In the bottom half of the bracket, the Blazers picked up their only point of the match when Kukla was forced to retire from her No. 4 contest against DeFelice in the second set. At No. 5, Sirojiddinova defeated Cape, 6-4 and 6-4, and Paluch won her sixth-seeded match, 6-0 and 6-0, over Engin.
The Matadors continue to play host at Matador Tennis Complex, hosting the Memphis Tigers on Friday, Mar. 13 at 2 p.m.
Northridge 6 Memphis 1
1. Vertesheva/Doane (CSUN) def. Strijker/Alvarez (UAB) 8-2
2. Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Cape/Romeo (UAB) 8-2
3. Kukla/Paluch (CSUN) def. DeFelice/Engin (UAB) 8-4
1. Vertesheva (CSUN) def. Strijker (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Alvarez (UAB) 6-4, 6-2
3. Doane (CSUN) def. Romeo (UAB) 6-4, 7-6
4. DeFelice (UAB) def. Kukla (CSUN) 6-0, 2-0, retired
5. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Cape (UAB) 6-4, 6-4
6. Paluch (CSUN) def. Engin (UAB) 6-0, 6-0