Matador Tennis Defeats Southern Miss, 5-2
March 9, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women’s tennis team (4-8) defeated Southern Miss, 5-2, Monday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. Evgeniya Vertesheva and Brooke Doane extended their winning streak at the No. 1 doubles position to nine matches with an 8-0 victory over the Golden Eagles’ Elja van Berlo and Lauren Gutterman.
Doane and Vertesheva have not lost since a season-opening match against UCLA. On average, they are losing only four games per match during their streak. For Doane, that runs her doubles record to an impressive 27-3 since beginning her career at CSUN.
The Matadors would go on to win the doubles point by sweeping the other two matches. Nina Jaworowski and Nigora Sirojiddinova defeated Hollie Robinson and Shannon Rogers in the No. 2 contest, 8-1, for their fifth victory of the season as a team.
In singles action, CSUN won the top three matches without dropping a set. Vertesheva won her top draw against van Berlo, 6-2 and 6-4. Jaworowski defeated Kaluza in the second spot 6-1 and 6-1, and Doane bested Robinson, 6-1, in straight sets as well.
However, the Golden Eagles would take the fourth and fifth matches. Kukla was forced to retire from the match during her second set at the No. 4 position against Gutterman. At four, Sirrojiddinova lost, 6-2, 7-5, to Lee.
Paluch won her sixth match, 6-2 and 6-1, over Rogers to get her third singles win of the season.
Northridge and head coach Gary Victor return to action on Wednesday, hosting the UAB Blazers. First serve from the Matador Tennis Complex is slated for 2 p.m.
Southern Miss 2
1. Doane/Vertesheva (CSUN) def. van Berlo/Gutterman (USM) 8-0
2. Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Robinson/Rogers (USM) 8-1
3. Paluch/Kukla (CSUN) def. Lee/Kaluza (USM) 8-4
1. Vertesheva (CSUN) def. van Berlo (USM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Kaluza (USM) 6-1, 6-1
3. Doane (CSUN) def. Robinson (USM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Gutterman (USM) def. Kukla (CSUN) 7-5, 2-1 ret.
5. Lee (USM) def. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 6-2, 7-5
6. Paluch (CSUN) def. Rogers (USM) 6-2, 6-1