Feb. 21, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (4-5, 1-3 Big West) dropped a 5-2 decision to UC Davis Sunday, Feb. 20 at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN swept the doubles point to earn an early 1-0 lead, but saw only Jennifer Sher capture a singles point in defeat.
For Sher and teammate Brooke Doane, their 8-5 victory over the Aggies at the No. 1 doubles draw improved their season record to a perfect 7-0. They have also entered the national rankings in doubles, moving to No. 78 among all teams in last week's rankings.
However, in singles action, only Sher was successful for the Matadors. She needed three sets (2-6, 6-2, 6-3) to win her No. 2 singles competition.
The only other Matador to reach a third and decisive set was Nigora Sirojiddinova, who lost at No. 4. The other four singles matches all went to UC Davis in straight sets.
Northridge returns to the court on when it travels to Hawai'i for four matches. First up is a meeting with Hawai'i-Pacific on Tuesday, Feb. 22. They will also play Hawai'i (Feb. 23), San Diego State (Feb. 25) and BYU-Pacific (Feb. 26).
UC Davis vs. Cal State Northridge
Feb 20, 2011 at Northridge, Calif.
(Matador Tennis Complex)
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Brooke Doane (CSN) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jennifer Sher (CSN) def. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Nina Jaworowski (CSN) 7-5, 6-2
4. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSN) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Kelly Chui (UCD) def. Maria Pistalu (CSN) 6-2, 6-4
6. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Anna Yang (CSN) 7-5, 6-0
1. Brooke Doane/Jennifer Sher (CSN) def. Megan Heneghan/Kelly Chui (UCD) 8-5
2. Nina Jowarowski/Anna Yang (CSN) def. Ellie Edles/Lauren Curry (UCD) 8-5
3. Maria Pistalu/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSN) def. Nicole Koehly/Dahra Zamudio (UCD) 8-4