Feb. 10, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women’s tennis team (1-5, 1-1 BWC) picked up its first victory of the season with a 7-0 sweep over conference rival Cal State Fullerton Tuesday. In the victory, Evgeniya Vertesheva, Nigora Sirojiddinova and Julie Onishenko all picked up their first career singles wins.
The Matadors jumped on the Titans early, taking all three doubles matches. Vertesheva teamed with Brooke Doane to win the No. 1 doubles match, 8-4 over Leslie Bullock and Shelly Injejikian. With the win, Vertesheva and Doane improved their record to 3-1 on the season.
In the No. 2 match, Sirojiddinova and Nina Jaworowski took an 8-5 decision over Brandy Andrews and Jerusha Cruz. Finally, Onishenko and Whitney Paluch won an 8-4 decision over Karina Akhmedova and Kathleen Doran in the third match.
Moving to singles, Vertesheva defeated Bullock 6-1, 6-0 to win the top draw. At the second position, Jaworowski earned a 6-3, 6-2 win over Injejikian. In the third position, Doane returned to the line-up for a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Akhmedova.
On the other side of the draw, Sirokiddinova won the first match of her intercollegiate career with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Cruz. With her win 6-4, 6-0 win over Andrews, Paluch earned the highest ranked win since arriving at Northridge. Finally, Onishenko was the first to finish, secring her first career win with a 6-1, 6-0 decision over Doran.
CSUN 7 CSUF 0
- Evgeniya Vertesheva/Brooke Doane (CSUN) def. Leslie Bullock/Shelly Injejikian (CSUF) 8-4
- Nina Jaworowski/Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Brandy Andrews/Jerusha Cruz (CSUF) 8-5
- Whitney Paluch/Julie Onishenko (CSUN) def. Karina Akhmedova/Kathleen Doran (CSUF) 8-4
- Verteshva (CSUN) def. Bullock (CSUF) 6-1, 6-0
- Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Injejikian (CSUF) 6-3, 6-2
- Doane (CSUN) def. Akhmedova (CSUF) 6-0, 6-3
- Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Cruz (CSUF) 6-1, 6-1
- Paluch (CSUN) def. Andrews (CSUF) 6-4, 6-0
- Onishenko (CSUN) def. Duran (CSUF) 6-1, 6-0