Jan. 29, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (1-2) lost 5-2 to No. 49 Arizona Saturday afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex. The Matadors took the doubles point and Nigora Sirojiddinova captured her No. 4 singles match against the Wildcats.
Facing their second-straight Pac 10 opponent, CSUN got off to a good start against Arizona. The Matadors won the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches to earn the point. In the top doubles draw, Brooke Doane and Jennifer Sher, who made her CSUN debut in the match, won 8-2. At No. 3, Sirojiddinova and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing took an 8-4 decision.
However, in singles action, the Wildcats took five of the six matches to earn the victory. Sirojiddinova won her fourth-seeded match in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-3, to earn the Matadors' second point of the day. It was Sirojiddinova's first singles win of the season after claiming 16 victories in 2010.
Sher, a transfer from Concordia, lost her singles debut for Northridge, falling in three sets, 6-2, 2-6 and 6-3, in the No. 3 match.
The Matadors remain at home for their next match, a rare tennis doubleheader on Feb. 1. CSUN will face Chapman at 2 p.m., then take on Cal State Los Angeles at 5:30 p.m. Both contests will be at Matador Tennis Complex.
No. 49 Arizona 5, CSUN 2
1. Doane/Sher (CSUN) d. Landman/Huh (Arizona) 8-2
2. Smyth/McRann (Arizona) d. Jaworowski/Yang (CSUN) 8-5
3. Sirojiddinova/ Man-Son-Hing d. Marks/Castany 8-4
Order of Finish:1, 2, 3
1. Smyth (Arizona) d. Doane (CSUN), 6-1, 6-1
2. Marks (Arizona) d. Jaworowski (CSUN), 6-1, 6-0
3. Landman (Arizona) d. Sher (CSUN), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) d. McRann (Arizona), 6-4, 6-3
5. Castany (Arizona) d. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN), 6-4, 6-2
6. Huh (Arizona) d. Cheung (CSUN),6-3, 7-5
Order of Finsh: 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 6