Harvard Tennis Defeats CSUN 6-1
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (6-5) lost 6-1 to Harvard Tuesday afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex in a non-conference match. Freshman Scout Shutter collected the Matadors' only point with a straight-set victory over the Crimson in the fifth draw.
"I thought we competed well against a top 40 team. With four freshmen in the line-up, this bodes very well for the future of the program," CSUN head coach Gary Victor said. "I am proud of this team in so many ways."
Shutter won 6-3 and 6-2 in the No. 5 singles draw. She improved her season record to 4-1 on the year.
"Scout has waited her time and put in the extra work every day. It is great to see her shine and represent our program so well," Victor added.
The No. 1 doubles team of Vivian Lin and Criss Rodriguez dropped a tough 8-7 decision. Lin also suffered a tough three-set loss in the top singles match. Jessica Warren fell in straight sets in the No. 6 draw.
Harvard 6 CSUN 1
Mar. 18, 2014
1. Liang/M. Lin (Harvard) def. Lin/Rodriguez (CSUN): 8-7 (5)
2. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Morrill/Lee (Harvard): 8-5
3. He/A. Lin (Harvard) def. Cheung/Shutter (CSUN): 8-5
1. Liang (Harvard) def. Lin (CSUN) 5-7, 7-5, 10-8
2. M. Lin (Harvard) def. Rodriguez (CSUN): 6-4, 6-2
3. Lee (Harvard) def. Hsu (CSUN): 6-2, 6-4
4. He (Harvard) def. Poei (CSUN): 6-0, 6-3
5. Shutter (CSUN) def. Morrill (Harvard): 6-3, 6-2
6. A. Lin (Harvard) def. Warren (CSUN): 6-4, 6-1