Matador Tennis Sweeps UMKC
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Playing in its first match since a six-hour victory over Montana, the Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (6-4) showed little fatigue in sweeping UMKC 7-0 Sunday afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex. The Matadors did not drop a set in singles play and swept all three doubles matches in defeating the 'Roos.
"Today was another excellent effort by our team. With some of the injuries we've had, it is great to see how our depth gives us a chance in every match," CSUN head coach Gary Victor said.
The Matadors stormed out to an early 1-0 lead in winning all three doubles matches. Mickey Hsu and Kristen Poei won in No. 2 doubles with an 8-2 victory. The freshmen tandem is now 7-1 on the season, all at the second draw.
In singles play, Vivian Lin took a straight-set victory and only lost one game to improve to 7-3 overall and 5-2 in the No. 1 draw this year. In the second draw, Criss Rodriguez won her second straight with a 6-4, 6-3 decision.
Hsu won 6-2, 6-2 in the third draw. She improved her record to an even 5-5 on the season. Like Lin, Cheung lost just one game in a straight-set victory in the fourth draw. She is now 7-3 on the year in singles action.
Shutter continued the Matadors' strong play Sunday at No. 5 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory. She is 3-1 on the season. Leslie Chang won her second-straight contest with a 6-2, 6-1 victory in the No. 6 draw.
The Matadors have won two straight and continue their homestand with a match against Harvard on Tuesday, Mar. 16. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
CSUN 7 UNKC 0
2. Mickey Hsu/Kristen Poei (CSUN) def. Pintos/M. Schulte (UMKC): 8-2
3. Cheung/Shutter (CSUN) def. Argenal/Ammar Mohounb (UMKC): 8-0
1. Lin (CSUN) def. Schulte (UMKC): 6-0, 6-1
2. Rodriguez (CSUN) def. Korasbedlani (UMKC): 6-4, 6-3
3. Hsu (CSUN) def. Argenal (UMKC): 6-2, 6-2
4. Cheung (CSUN) def. Amsellam (UMKC): 6-0, 6-1
5. Shutter (CSUN) def. Pintos (UMKC): 6-2, 6-3
6. Chang (CSUN) def. Ammar Mahoub (UMKC): 6-2, 6-1