NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Freshman Vivian Lin won a third-set tiebreaker in the top singles draw to help lift the Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (2-0) to a 4-3 victory over Air Force Sunday afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN swept the doubles and Criss Rodriguez and Mickey Hsu also scored singles victories to cap off a successful weekend for the Matadors.
Having seen the Falcons during the fall season, Northridge understood it was in for a test Sunday.
"This was a big win for us. Air Force cleaned up at our fall tournament and we knew we had to be very tough today," CSUN head coach Gary Victor said.
Lin personified that toughness with a gritty three-set victory in the No.1 draw. After dropping the first set 6-1, she rallied to win 6-4 and 7-6 (2) in the tiebreaker.
She teamed with Rodriguez to score an 8-5 victory in the top doubles match. Rodriguez delivered a straight-set victory in No. 2 singles action.
Hsu won her third draw by losing only two games in a 6-1, 6-1 triumph. She teamed with Kristen Poei to win the No. 2 doubles contest 8-2.
"Vivian was able to pull out a third-set tiebreaker and that shows a lot of guts for a freshman, especially at the No. 1 draw," Victor added. "We're just a lot more mentally tough than we were in November. It's fun to see the growth. Adding Criss Rodriguez to the line-up has been huge. She brings a lot of experience and solidifies our No. 1 doubles tandem with Vivian Lin."
"We had a lot of people to replace, so to have Kriss and Vivian and Kristen and Mickey step into top two spots of doubles has been pretty awesome. They've been getting better every day and have great attitudes," Victor concluded.
The Matadors open Big West Conference action with their next match, a home contest against Cal Poly on Saturday, Feb. 1. First serve is slated for noon.
CSUN 4 Air Force 3
1. Lin/Rodriguez (CSUN) def. Rizvi/Magday (Air Force) 8-5
2. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Tran/Meyers (Air Force) 8-1
3. Warren/Cheung (CSUN) def. Forlini/Forlini (Air Force) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Lin (CSUN) def. Tran (Air Force) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2. Rodriguez (CSUN) def. Rizvi (Air Force) 6-3, 6-4
3. Hsu (CSUN) def. Meyeres (Air Force) 6-1, 6-1
4. Magday (Air Force) def. Warren (CSUN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. L. Forlini (Air Force) def. Cheung (CSUN) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Landram (Air Force) def. Poei (CSUN) 7-5, 7-6 (2)