NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (10-8, 3-5 Big West) lost a 4-3 decision to Cal Poly in a Big West Conference match at Matador Tennis Complex on Sunday afternoon. On senior day, the Matadors jumped out to an early lead in doubles, but dropped several close singles contests to lose to the Mustangs.
CSUN jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after winning two of the three doubles matches. Anna Yang and Nigora Sirojiddinova won 8-1 in the No. 2 draw. Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung won 8-4 in the No. 3 match to clinch the point.
In singles, Lorraine Cheung won her singles contest, 6-4 and 6-4, at No. 6 to give the Matadors a 2-1 lead. However, Cal Poly won the next two matches, at the second and fifth draw, to reclaim the lead.
Sabrina Man-Son-Hing then came back in impressive fashion to tie the match at 3-3. After not winning a game in the first set, she stormed back and lost only six games over the next two sets to win her No. 4 draw.
In the final match of the day, senior Jennifer Sher lost a three-set contest in the No. 1 draw. She and Alexa Lee went to a tiebreaker in the first set (which Sher won), played 12 games in the second set and Lee finally claimed a 6-3 third set to seal the win.
Northridge has two regular season matches, both on the road. The Matadors face LMU on April 17 and San Diego State on April 21.
The Big West Championships run from April 26-29 in Indian Wells, Calif. Northridge is likely to be the sixth seed in the tournament.
1. Lee/Davis (CP) d. Sher/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) 8-1
2. Yang/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) d. McPike/Webb (CP) 8-1
3. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) d. Gatewood/Kuipers (CP) 8-4
ORDER: 2, 1, 3
1. Lee (CP) d. Sher (CSUN) 6-7 (9), 7-5, 6-3
2. Davis (CP) d. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 7-5, 6-2
3. Cornea (CP) d. Yang (CSUN) 6-2, 6-2
4. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) d. Webb (CP) 0-6, 6-1, 7-5
5. Gatewood (CP) d. Maria (CSUN) 7-6 (2), 6-4
6. Cheung (CSUN) d. McPike (CP) 6-4, 6-4
ORDER: 3, 6, 2, 5, 4, 1