Matadors Knock off UTEP 6-1 for Third-Straight Win
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (9-5) defeated UTEP 6-1 Friday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. The Matadors won their third-straight match and fourth in their last five against the short-handed Miners.
Competing with only five healthy players, the Miners fell behind quickly as Northridge took the two doubles matches to earn the first point. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing and Jennifer Sher moved to 9-4 on the year, all at the No. 1 draw, with an 8-3 victory.
Moving to singles, the Matadors saw Sher continue her dominance. She won 6-2 and 6-0 to move to 10-4, all at No. 1, for the season. Sher has also won seven of her last eight singles matches.
At No. 2, Maria Pistalu won her first match at that draw this season in straight sets, taking both frames 6-1. At No. 3, Yang won her second-straight singles showdown with a straight set victory.
The final Matador to win was Cheung, who took a three-set victory at the fourth draw. She overcame a first set loss to win 1-6, 6-3 and 10-4.
The only Northridge player to fall Friday was freshman Amber Walker, who fell 6-2 and 6-2 at the fifth draw.
Northridge returns to action on Mar. 31 for a contest against Southern Utah. First serve is slate for 11 a.m.
CSUN 6, UTEP 1
Mar. 23, 2012
Matador Tennis Complex
1. Sher/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Trierweiler/Leblond (UTEP): 8-3
2. Sirojiddinova/Yang (CSUN) def. Sylenko/Abadahkmanova (UTEP): 8-2
1. Sher (CSUN) def. Trierweiler (UTEP): 6-2, 6-0
2. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Vazquez (UTEP): 6-1, 6-1
3. Yang (CSUN) def. Sylenko (UTEP): 6-1, 6-1
4. Cheung (CSUN) def. Abadahkmanova (UTEP): 1-6, 6-3, 10-4
5. Leblond (UTEP) def. Walker (CSUN): 6-2, 6-2