Matadors Upend No. 62 Gauchos at ITA Kickoff Weekend
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (1-1) defeated No. 62 UC Santa Barbara 5-2 in a non-conference match as part of the ITA Kickoff Weekend on the campus of The University of Miami Sunday afternoon. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing and Anna Yang continued their solid play for the Matadors in south Florida, earning victories in both singles and doubles over the rival Gauchos.
Facing a familiar face 3,000 miles from either campus, Northridge jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by winning the first two doubles matches to finish. Yang and Nigora Sirojiddinova started things off with an 8-6 victory over Jordan Dockendorft and Kiersten Meehan in the second draw.
Jennifer Sher and Man-Son-Hing then picked up an 8-6 win in their top-seeded doubles match over Natalia Lozano and Sofia Novak to clinch the match's opening point.
In singles, Yang posted a quick straight-set victory (6-3, 6-4) in the fifth-seeded contest over Paola Cos. Sher then defeated Lozano in straight sets as well (6-3, 6-3) in the top singles draw.
After UCSB pulled back a point, Man-Son-Hing clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-2 victory in the third draw. Lorraine Cheung also posted a singles win, rallying from an opening-set loss to win 3-6, 6-4 and 7-5 in the sixth-seeded match.
Sirojiddinova was the last to finish and lost in three sets to end the contest.
The victory was especially sweet for CSUN head coach Gary Victor, a native of Miami.
"The girls played tough and smart all weekend," Victor said. "It's a great sign to see how hard their fighting and playing."
Northridge returns to California for the rest of its season. The Matadors face Pepperdine on Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 1:30 p.m. CSUN's home opener is on Saturday, Feb. 11 against Gonzaga.
CSUN 5 No. 62 UCSB 2
Jan. 29, 2012
1. Jennifer Sher/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Natalia Lozano/Sofia Novak (UCSB): 8-5
2. Nigora Sirojiddinova/Ana Yang (CSUN) def. Jordan Dockendorf/Kiersten Meehan (UCSB): 8-6
3. Maria Pistalu/Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) vs. April Scatliffe/Paola Cos (UCSB): Unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Sher (CSUN) def Lozano (UCSB): 6-3, 6-3
2. Novak (UCSB) def. Sirojiddinova (CSUN): 4-6, 7-6 (3) and 10-5
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Meehan (UCSB): 6-4, 6-2
4. Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Pistalu (CSUN): 6-4, 6-4
5. Yang (CSUN) def. Cos (UCSB): 6-3, 6-4
6. Cheung (CSUN) def. Dockendorf (UCSB): 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
Order of Finish: 5,1,4,3,6,2