NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Matadors Travel to Northern California to face Aggies
The Cal State Northridge women's soccer team (5-9-1, 0-3-1 Big West) faces UC Davis in its lone Big West Conference match of the week, meeting the Aggies on Sunday, Oct. 20 in Davis, Calif. The Matadors and Aggies each have one point on the season as they work towards securing a berth in the Big West Tournament. CSUN has won the past five contests with UC Davis, including a 1-0 decision last year and a 3-1 victory in its last trip to Aggie Soccer Field. Live stats will be available for the contest.
Last week, CSUN suffered a pair of 1-0 defeats at the hands of Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara. Usually a favorable scoreline to the Matadors, the two 1-0 defeats moved their record to 23-15 in such contests since the start of the 2009 season. Still, CSUN remains in contention for a playoff berth and will need all points possible in its final four contests.
The Aggies enter the week with a 3-6-3 overall record and a 0-1-1 mark in Big West play. Last week, UC Davis earned a draw at Long Beach State before falling at UC Irvine. Ashley Edwards leads the squad with three goals and six points on the year. Lexi Popoff has two assists, a goal and four points while Kiele Argente has a goal and assist on the season. In net, Taylor Jern has played every minute this season and sports a 1.50 goals-against average, 64 saves and a .771 save percentage. Before hosting CSUN Sunday, UC Davis will face Hawai'i on Thursday night.
Following the trip to Davis, Northridge will return to the San Fernando Valley for its final two home matches of the 2013 season. On Friday, Oct. 25, Long Beach State comes to Matador Soccer Field for a 7 p.m. tilt. Two days later, the Matadors will host UC Irvine in a 6 p.m. contest centered around the Matadors' Senior Day.
CSUN has four seniors competing in their final season of Division I soccer in 2013: Haley Chee, Chloe McDaniel, Amanda Smith and Wendy Warner. All four have helped the Matadors reach new program highs and records, including a berth in the 2012 NCAA Tournament.
McDaniel has served as a three-year team captain, was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year and was a 2013 Senior CLASS Candidate. Smith has amassed nine assists in her career, tying her for ninth in school history. Chee has been a fixture in midfield throughout her four seasons and picked up an assist in the Matadors' match at UC Riverside. Finally, Warner has started 13 of the 15 contests thus far and scored her first career goal last year in a victory at San Diego. The quartet will be honored prior to the start of the contest with the Anteaters.
- Northridge is 21-12-4 (.623) in Big West play since 2009
- CSUN has had five different players record a game-winning goal in 2013
- CSUN has had five different players score their first career goal in 2013
- Northridge has played in overtime 16 times since 2009 and is 4-4-8 in those contests
- CSUN has faced four Pac-12 opponents in 2013, its most games vs. the league since 2008
- Northridge recorded its second win vs. a Pac-12 opponent since 1999 with its victory over Oregon State
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 30-1-2 when scoring at least 2 goals
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 5-1-1 vs. the Mountain West Conference
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 7-8-2 vs. the West Coast Conference
- Since the start of the 2009 season, CSUN has played in 52 one-goal games and 38 contests that ended 1-0
- Since the start of the 2010 season, CSUN is 22-13-3 (.618) in matches at Matador Soccer Field
- Senior Chloe McDaniel was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- McDaniel was named one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award
- McDaniel was a 2013 Big West Scholar-Athlete
- Senior Amanda Smith is tied for ninth in school history with 9 career assists
- Junior Leandra Walker has a team-high four assists, tied for fourth in the Big West Conference