Matadors Tackle Mustangs, Gauchos in Big West Action
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
CSUN Hosts Cal Poly, UC Santa Barbara at Matador Soccer Field
The Cal State Northridge women's soccer team (5-7-1, 0-1-1 Big West) returns to Matador Soccer Field this week for a pair of pivotal Big West Conference contests. On Thursday, Oct. 10, the Matadors host the Cal Poly Mustangs for a 7 p.m. contest. Three days later, CSUN takes on UC Santa Barbara at 4 p.m. as part of a CSUN Soccer Doubleheader. Following the conclusion of the Matadors and Gauchos, the No. 4 CSUN men's program takes on Cal Poly.
Last week, the Matadors lost 3-1 to UC Riverside and tied Cal State Fullerton 1-1. The Highlanders jumped out to a quick lead and eventually controlled the match 3-0 before Taylor Hobson scored her first goal of the season. Two days later, Kendall Moskal recorded her first goal of the season as well, but a Titan corner kick in the second half leveled the teams for good.
This week, CSUN takes on Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara in important contests in the quest for a berth in the Big West Tournament. The Mustangs are 5-7 on the year and 1-1 in the conference after defeating Long Beach State before falling to UC Irvine at home last week. Elise Krieghoff is one of the nation's top scorers, having amassed 15 goals and 32 points this season. In net, Alyssa Giannetti has played nearly all the minutes for Cal Poly and has a .691 save percentage with three shutouts. CSUN is 3-1-1 in its last five contests against Cal Poly, but lost its last home contest 2-0 to the Mustangs.
UC Santa Barbara enters the week 7-5-1 overall and 1-1 in conference after defeating UC Irvine before falling to Long Beach State at home last week. The Gauchos, who play at Hawai'i on Oct. 10, are 2-2-1 on the road this season. Madison Beckley leads the squad with five goals ans 12 points while Allie Ariniello and Angelisa Cortez each have three goals. In net, Beth Ritter sports a 0.68 goals-against average and six shutouts. CSUN has won the past two meetings with the Gauchos, including a 1-0 road victory last year.
Next week, CSUN plays at UC Davis on Oct. 20 at 1 p.m. in its only Big West Conference contest of the week.
Follow Your Matadors Online
All home matches this season will include live stats coverage and selected matches will also feature a free audio broadcast on GoMatadors.com. For road contests related links to the game, including for any live stats, audio and video, will be posted before the match on the schedule page of GoMatadors.com. Fans are also encouraged to check the Cal State Northridge Athletics Department's official Twitter feed (@GoMatadors) for updates of matches in progress and news and notes throughout the week.
- Northridge is 21-10-4 (.657) in Big West play since 2009
- CSUN has had five different players record a game-winning goal in 2013
- CSUN has had five different players score their first career goal in 2013
- Northridge has played in overtime 16 times since 2009 and is 4-4-8 in those contests
- CSUN has faced four Pac-12 opponents in 2013, its most games vs. the league since 2008
- Northridge recorded its second win vs. a Pac-12 opponent since 1999 with its victory over Oregon State
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 30-1-2 when scoring at least 2 goals
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 5-1-1 vs. the Mountain West Conference
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 7-8-2 vs. the West Coast Conference
- Since the start of the 2009 season, CSUN has played in 50 one-goal games and 36 contests that ended 1-0
- Since the start of the 2010 season, CSUN is 22-11-3 (.652) in matches at Matador Soccer Field
- Senior Chloe McDaniel was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- McDaniel was named one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award
- McDaniel was a 2013 Big West Scholar-Athlete
- Senior Amanda Smith is tied for ninth in school history with 9 career assists
- Junior Leandra Walker has a team-high four assists, ranking tied for second in the Big West Conference