CSUN's Robert Robinson Takes First Day Lead at the 2010 Big West Decathlon Championship
May 7, 2010
Northridge, Calif. - Under very warm conditions on Friday afternoon at CSUN's Matador Track, Robert Robinson of Cal State Northridge has taken the first day lead in the decathlon at the Big West Decathlon/Heptathlon Championships.
Robinson collected 4,070 points to take a 330-point lead over second place Nicholas Armstrong (3,740 points) of Long Beach State.
CSUN's Lance Gonzales, who was the conference season leader with 7,170 points, resides in third place after five events with 3,728 points.
A third Matador athlete, Owen Morse, sits in seventh place with 3,468 points. The final events of the two-day competition take place on Saturday (5/8/10) starting at 11:00 a.m. with the 110 meter hurdles. The day's events will include the discus, pole vault, javelin and the 1,500 meters.
Admission is free during Saturday's competition.
Robinson, who finished third at last years' Big West Championships, got off to a great start with a time of 10.83 in the 100 meters. That was the best time in the 13-member field and produced 899 points.
Robinson's best event of the day was the next event following the opening 100 meters. Robinson leaped 24-5 ½ (7.44m) in the long jump to earn 922 points. That again was the best mark in the field.
Robinson finished the day with a throw of 37-5 ¾ (11.42m) in the shot put (571 points), a leap of 6-6 ¼ (1.99) in the high jump (794 points) and a time of 48.53 (884 points) in the 400 meters (the best time in the field).
In the women's heptathlon championships, UCSB's Barbara Nwaba has the first day lead after three events with 3,420 points. Desirae Gonder of Cal State Northridge is second with 3,329 points followed by Anikia Jackson of UC Davis with 2,986 points. CSUN's Shelese Ruffin is fourth with 2,981 points while Matador teammate Ese Ntekume has 2,606 points for eleventh place.
Gonder's best event of the day was the first event of the day, the 100-meter hurdles. Gonder ran a 14.39, the best time in the 15-woman field, good enough for 959 points. Gonder's second-best event of the day was the 200 meters with a time of 24.32. That time produced 950 points. CSUN's Shelese Ruffin had the best time in the 200 meters at 24.08, good enough for 973 points.
The final three events of the heptathlon will take place on Saturday (5/8/10) with the long jump at 1:00 p.m. followed by the javelin and the 200 meters.
Big West Decathlon Championships at Cal State Northridge (3/7/10) - First Day Results
1. Robert Robinson - Cal State Northridge (4,070 points)
2. Nicholas Armstrong - Long Beach State (3,740 points)
3. Mike Powers - UC Santa Barbara (3,728 points)
4. Lance Gonzales - Cal State Northridge (3,716 points)
5. Dominic Byrne - Cal Poly (3,522 points)
6. Corbin Duer - Cal Poly (3,501 points)
7. Owen Morse - Cal State Northridge (3,468 points)
8. Will Guthrie - UC Davis (3,452 points)
9. Jordan Goffens - Cal Poly (3,444 points)
10. Josh Codding - UC Santa Barbara (3,304 points)
Big West Heptathlon Championships at Cal State Northridge (3/7/10) - First Day Results
1. Barbara Nwaba - UC Santa Barbara (3,420 points)
2. Desirae Gonder - Cal State Northridge (3,329 points)
3. Anikia Jackson - UC Davis (2,986 points)
4. Shelese Ruffin - Cal State Northridge (2,981 points)
5. Sara Macey - Long Beach State (2.811 points)
6. Maureen Ajoku - UC Santa Barbara (2,807 points)
7. Sara Klein - Cal Poly (2,796 points)
8. Turuoise Williams - Cal Poly (2,777 points)
9. Christina Nowak - UC Santa Barbara (2,771 points)
10. Grace Esslinger - UC Santa Barbara (2,649 points)
11. Ese Ntekume - Cal State Northridge (2,606 points)
12. Jessica Bragg - UC Santa Barbara (2,577 points)
13. Jazmine Lewis - UC Riverside (2,574 points)
14. Rebecca Hamilton - Long Beach State (2,435 points)
15. Chelsea Pham - UC Irvine (2,329 points)
The first place winner receives ten team points, followed by eight points for second place, six points for third place, five points for fourth place, four points for fifth place, three points for sixth place, two points for seventh place, and one point for eighth place ... The Big West Conference decathlon record is 8,007 set by Mauricio Bardales of UC Irvine in 1978 ... The decathlon meet record is 7,631 set by Pete Mansur of Fresno State in 1984 ... The Big West Conference heptathlon meet record is 5,642 set by Sharon Day of Cal Poly in 2008 ... The conference record is held by Sheila Tarr of UNLV with 5,856 points set in 1984 ... The main portion of the Big West Championships will take place May 14-15 at Cal State Northridge ... The Matador women have won the league crown four straight seasons, while the CSUN men have captured the league title three of the last five years.