Records and Historic Stats Dominate CSUN-CSF Basketball Game
Feb. 15, 2010
Northridge, Calif. - There were numerous post-game notes and records from the historic, record-breaking triple overtime men's basketball game between Cal State Northridge and Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 13, 2010 at The Matadome. The Titans defeated the Matadors, 113-112, in the triple overtime marathon contest.
* This was only the second triple overtime game in the 51-year history of Cal State Northridge basketball (1,418 games, CSUN started basketball in the 1958-59 season). The other triple overtime game was a 94-91 victory over Cal State Stanislaus on Nov. 19, 1982 that opened the 1982-83 season. That game was also at The Matadome.
* Cal State Fullerton is now 3-0 in triple overtime games in its 50-year history (1,389 games, CSF basketball started in 1960-61).
* Among Big West Schools (Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly, Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, Pacific, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara), a check of media guides and response from the league's media relations directors indicate BWC member schools have played 15,407 games dating back to the 1921-22 season. Only 19 of the 15,407 games played by Big West member schools have gone into triple overtime. The record is 14-5. According to school records, Cal Poly has never played a triple overtime game in 1,903 games since the start of Cal Poly's 1921-22 inaugural campaign. UC Irvine has also never played a triple overtime game in 1,270 contests since the start of UCI basketball in the 1965-66 season.
The Cal State Northridge-Cal State Fullerton game featured ...
* 155 field goal attempts by both teams (85 for CSUN, 70 for CSF).
* 110 free throw attempts by both teams (61 for CSF, 49 for CSUN).
* 109 rebounds by both teams (61 for CSUN, 48 for CSF).
* 81 free throws made (44 for CSF, 37 for CSUN).
* 75 fouls by both teams (39 for CSUN, 36 for CSF).
* 44 turnovers by both teams (23 for CSUN, 21 for CSF).
* 17 tied scores.
* 15 lead changes.
* 11 players fouled out (6 for CSUN, 5 for CSF).
* 11 CSUN players on the 13-man CSUN roster played double-digit minutes.
* 10 CSUN/CSF players scored in double figures (4 non-starters, 3 for CSUN, 1 for CSF).
* 4 players (3 for CSF, 1 for CSUN) played 41 minutes or more.
Other statistical notes ...
* CSUN's bench outscored CSF's bench, 77-28.
* CSUN's largest lead of the game was 12 points, 43-31, with 57 seconds remaining in the first half.
* CSF's largest lead was five points, 92-87, with 1:49 remaining in the second overtime.
* The 225 combined points was the most in the 60-game series between Cal State Northridge and Cal State Fullerton. The previous combined best was 210 points that translated into a 117-93 win by CSUN over CSF on Feb. 29, 1964 at The Matadome.
* The 225 combined points is the most in the 50-year history of Cal State Fullerton basketball.
* The 225 combined points is fifth-most for a game played at The Matadome. The record remains 256 points (A 159-97 CSUN victory over Redlands on Nov. 15, 2006).
* The 225 combined points is seventh-best for a single game in school history.
* The 61 free throw attempts by Cal State Fullerton ties The Matadome record originally set by Nevada against Cal State Northridge on Nov. 17, 2001.
* The 37 free throws made by CSUN is second all-time in school history.
* The 39 CSUN fouls ties The Matadome record originally by CSUN on Nov. 17, 2001.
* The 39 CSUN fouls ranks second for a single game in school history, just two behind the school record of 41 against Portland State on Nov. 10, 2006.
* The 112 points scored by Cal State Northridge is 15th-best for a single game in school history.
* The 61 CSUN rebounds were ninth-best for a single game in school history.
* The five blocks by CSUN's Lenny Daniel was one short of the school record. It was also the third time this season that Daniel has blocked five shots in a game.
* Lenny Daniel now has 28 blocks this year. That stat is now tied for sixth-best for a single season with Keith Higgins (1996-97).
* The seven CSUN team blocks were seventh-best for a single game in school history.
* The 44 free throws and 61 free throw attempts by Cal State Fullerton are school records.
* Cal State Fullerton beat Cal State Northridge at The Matadome for the seventh-straight season. That is the longest winning streak by an opponent against CSUN in the 51-year history of Matador basketball.
* Several CSUN players set career-bests in the game. Vincent Cordell had a career-best 17 points in 14 minutes off the bench. Cordell had a career-best seven free throws. Mark Hill had a career-best 12 free throws. Lenny Daniel had a career-best five blocks for the third time this season. Tony Osunsanmi tied his career-best with two steals. Dathan Lyles had a career-best two steals. Kenny Daniels tied his career-best with ten rebounds. Raymond Cody tied his career-best with six rebounds ... Therin Taylor tied his career-high with seven rebounds ... Mark Hill had a career-high 12 free throws.