July 19, 2012
UCLA, Arizona State, BYU, Utah Headline CSUN Basketball Schedule
2012-13 Men's Basketball Schedule (PDF)
By Bob Vazquez, Assistant Athletic Director (Media Relations)
Northridge, Calif. – The 55th season of Cal State Northridge men's basketball promises to be just as competitive and exciting as the previous 54 years.
Three Pac-12 Conference teams (UCLA, Arizona State, Utah), a game at BYU, and the addition of Hawai'i to the Big West Conference calendar are just a few of the highly competitive games that are on the 2012-13 docket as announced on Thursday by Matador head coach Bobby Braswell.
The Northridge-UCLA game will be played at the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion on Nov. 28. Previous to that game are seven non-league games including the season opener on Nov. 9 against Pepperdine at The Matadome. On Nov. 12, Cal State Northridge hosts Eastern Washington, followed by the four-game San Diego Tournament at the University of San Diego (Nov. 15-18). The USD Tournament will be against San Diego (USD), Tulsa, Siena and Northern Kentucky. The game pairings will be announced at a later date.
Following the San Diego (USD) Tournament, the Matadors travel to Provo, Ut., to face Brigham Young University on Nov. 24.
During December, Cal State Northridge will face five opponents including two homes against Vanguard (Dec. 5) and San Diego Christian (Dec. 18). Also included are games at Arizona State (Dec. 8) and at Utah (Dec. 21). Big West Conference competition then begins on Dec. 29 at the University of Hawai'i.
With the exception of the ESPN Bracketbuster game on Feb. 23, Cal State Northridge will play the reminder of its games against conference opponents in January, February and March. The first Big West home game is against UC Riverside (1/3/13).
The Big West Tournament is slated for March 14-16 at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
In all, Cal State Northridge will host 13 games at The Matadome.
The Matadors will be much improved in 2012-13. Eleven letter winners return including the team's top three scorers, guard/forward Stephan Hicks (15.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg), Josh Greene (12.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg) and forward Stephen Maxwell (8.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg). Hicks and Greene garnered All-Big West Conference honorable mention honors last year. Hicks was also named Big West Freshman of the Year.
Matador Memo …
* There will be three doubleheader games along with the Matador women's basketball team this year … The dates are Nov. 9, Dec. 5 and March 7 … On Nov. 9, the Matador women are slated to play Portland at 5:00 pm followed by the men's game against Pepperdine at 7:00 pm … On Dec. 5, the CSUN women will play USF at 5 p.m. followed by a 7 pm men's contest against Vanguard … Then on Mar. 7, the Matador women will play Cal State Fullerton at 5 p.m. followed by a 7 p.m. contest for the men against Hawai'i.
* Cal State Northridge has played 1,484 games since the start of the basketball program in 1958-59 … The Matadors have never played on Nov. 9 until this year when CSUN hosts Pepperdine.
* Cal State Northridge opens the 2012-13 season at home against Pepperdine on Nov. 9 (7:05 p.m.) … The Matadors played their first on-campus home game (then called Matador Gymnasium) on Nov. 30, 1962 against the Waves.
* On January 17, 2013, Cal State Northridge will host UC Davis … On January 17, 1994, the Matadors were in Boulder, Co., for a game that night against Colorado when tragedy struck … Before dawn on Jan. 17, Cal State Northridge was the epicenter of the highly destructive earthquake that is still talked about today.
* When Cal State Northridge faces Cal Poly on January 26 on SLO's home court (Mott Gym), the teams will meet for a 90th time, the oldest series in Matador history … Their rivalry has included a five overtime game that featured a total of 240 points (third highest combined score) between the two teams on Feb. 12, 1972 … Cal Poly won, 124-116.
* Since the 1962-63 season, Cal State Northridge has played 600 home games at the Matadome with a winning percentage of .655 … In 50 seasons on CSUN's home court, the Matadors has produced 41 winning seasons, five .500 seasons and only four losing seasons.
* Entering the 2012-13 season, Cal State Northridge has played 213 colleges and universities that have represented 43 states.
* Entering the 2012-13 season, 407 players have won the Red & White of Cal State Northridge … Thirty-one states have been represented in years past on the Matador roster.
* Geographically, Cal State Northridge has played as far west as Hawaii (played at Hawaii in 2011-12) and as far east as New Jersey (played at Rider in 2008-09).
Northridge Notes – 2012-13 Cal State Northridge Basketball Schedule
November 9 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Pepperdine, 7:05 pm
Pepperdine leads the series, 8-7, but the Matadors have won the last four games including a 73-70 decision in Malibu.
November 12 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Eastern Washington, 7:05 pm
Eastern Washington, a member of the Big Sky Conference, holds a 10-8 edge in the series with CSUN, but CSUN has won the last two meetings, and four of the last five games.
November 15-18 – Cal State Northridge at the San Diego (USD) Tournament
The teams, including Cal State Northridge, are USD, Tulsa, Siena, and Northern Kentucky … Although CSUN and USD are relatively close, the two teams have not met since the 2002-03 season when the Matadors scored a 64-61 on the Toreros home court … USD leads the series, 19-14 … Tulsa, a member of Conference USA, beat Cal State Northridge, 80-63, in 2010-11, at the 76 Classic in Anaheim … Tulsa, coached by former NBA star Danny Manning, holds a 2-1 edge over the Matadors … Siena and Cal State Northridge will be meeting for the first team … Northern Kentucky has joined the Atlantic Sun Conference … NKU is in its first season of NCAA Division I competition … NKU was 23-7 last year … CSUN and Northern Kentucky have never met on the basketball court.
November 24 – Cal State Northridge at Brigham Young, tba
No easy task for the Matadors … The Cougars, members of the West Coast Conference (WCC), lead the series, 4-0 … The game will be played in the 22,700 seat Marriott Center, the third largest on-campus arena in the country behind Syracuses' Carrier Dome (33,000) and Kentucky's Rupp Arena (23,000).
November 26 – Cal State Northridge at UCLA, tba
Always a good rivalry game for the Matadors … The Bruins have won three straight games from the Matadors after CSUN scored one of its biggest wins in school history over UCLA, 78-74, on Nov. 21, 2000 … The game will be played at UCLA's newly renovated Pauley Pavilion … The Bruins had what many experts believe the best recruiting class in the country.
December 5 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Vanguard, 7:05 pm
Cal State Northridge hosts a commanding 7-1 lead in the series against Vanguard … That included a 109-66 victory during the 2010-11 season.
December 8 – Cal State Northridge at Arizona State, tba
The second of three games against schools from the Pac-12 Conference finds the Matadors at Arizona State … All four games in the series have been played at ASU with the Sun Devils holding all four wins … However, the last game was close with ASU recording a 67-66 victory during the 2004-05 campaign.
December 18 – Cal State Northridge Hosts San Diego Christian, 7:05 pm
Both teams renew their series for a second straight year … The initial meeting saw the Matadors record a 95-68 victory last year.
December 21 – Cal State Northridge at Utah, tba
Back to the state of Utah for the Matadors as they travel to Salt Lake City to face the Utah Utes, another Pac-12 member … All six meetings have been in favor of Utah.
December 29 – Cal State Northridge at Hawaii, 7:00 pm
The University of Hawaii has joined the Big West Conference, and the conference season opener for both teams takes place on Oahu … The Rainbows hold a 6-1 lead in the series against Cal State Northridge, including a 86-67 victory in a non-league game last year in Hawaii.
January 3 – Cal State Northridge vs UC Riverside, 7:05 pm
The home conference opener for CSUN finds the Matadors hosting UC Riverside … The Matadors have won 13 of the 16 meetings against the Highlanders to take a 36-31 lead in the series.
January 5 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Cal State Fullerton, 7:05 pm
Always a fierce rivalry between the two schools … The Matadors had won three straight games against the Titans until last last year when Cal State Fullerton won both games … Cal State Fullerton leads the series, 37-29.
January 10 – Cal State Northridge at Long Beach State, 7:05 pm
Long Beach State has dominated Big West teams the past several years, including Cal State Northridge … The 49ers have won the last six meetings against the Matadors, but in the last meeting, CSUN held its own until the end, falling 75-67 at LBS … Long Beach State leads the series, 32-20.
January 12 – Cal State Northridge at UC Irvine, 7:05 pm
UC Irvine holds a 26-22 lead in the series against Cal State Northridge … The two teams have split their last four meetings in the last two seasons.
January 17 – Cal State Northridge Hosts UC Davis, 7:05 pm
Cal State Northridge hosts a 18-9 advantage in the series against UC Davis … The Matadors have 12 of the last 15 meetings against the Aggies.
January 19 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Pacific, 7:05 pm
Always a tough game for CSUN when its plays Pacific, a team that is leaving the Big West Conference this year to join the WCC … UOP holds a 22-6 margin against CSUN.
January 24 – Cal State Northridge at UC Santa Barbara, 7:05 pm
UC Santa Barbara holds a 31-15 edge over Cal State Northridge … The Gauchos have won the last three games.
January 26 – Cal State Northridge at Cal Poly, tba
The 89-game series between the two schools is the oldest in Matador basketball history … Cal Poly holds a 46-43 advantage … However, the Matadors have won seven of the last ten games against the Mustangs.
January 31 – Cal State Northridge at Cal State Fullerton, 7:00 pm
February 2 – Cal State Northridge at UC Riverside, tba
February 7 – Cal State Northridge Hosts UC Irvine, 7:05 pm
February 9 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Long Beach State, 7:05 pm
February 14 – Cal State Northridge at Pacific, 7:00 pm
February 16 – Cal State Northridge at UC Davis, tba
February 23 – Cal State Northridge at ESPN Bracketbuster, tba
Opponent to be determined
February 28 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Cal Poly, 7:05 pm
March 2 – Cal State Northridge Hosts UC Santa Barbara, 7:05 pm
March 7 – Cal State Northridge Hosts Hawaii, 7:05 pm
March 14-16 – Cal State Northridge at Big West Tournament (Honda Center, Anaheim), tba
Opponents to be determined